Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
tainochief
Follower
Follower

This system gives you clear video and photos, but you cannot extend video times. Ten seconds is not good enough. Sometimes the camera starts to record late and it ends the recording too early thus missing what you want to see. Terrible!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

tainochief,

You can adjust the duration of recordings by changing the rules in your active mode. For more information on this, take a look here: How do I adjust Arlo video recording length?

JamesC

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

tainochief,

You can adjust the duration of recordings by changing the rules in your active mode. For more information on this, take a look here: How do I adjust Arlo video recording length?

JamesC

Jramadan
Star
Star
Could y’all make an option for motion to be recorded until motion stops? 2 minutes is not long enough. Recording stop while person is moving on videos after time ends. Sometimes does not resume recording another clip. It would also be nice to have CVR option to the SD card
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's already there in your modes and rules. Of course, the motion has to remain detectable by the camera (NOT your eye) for it to work.

CVR to an SD card would quickly fill the card, even the largest one. The use of a multi-terabyte NAS would be needed to be useful.

Jramadan
Star
Star
I disagree. My Samsung camera with 128gb records 1080p for 2 weeks. Surely arlo could at least record a week of data on 4 cameras with 512gb at 1080p. Heck I would only need a couple days. Or I could even buy another base and put 2 cameras on each with 512gb sd in each.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jramadan wrote:
I disagree.  ... Surely arlo could at least record a week of data on 4 cameras with 512gb at 1080p. 

This is a straight forward math problem.  @jguerdat is overestimating the storage needed, you might be slightly underestimating it.

Arlo says the Ultra cameras need a 3 mbps upload for 4K.  At that rate, a single CVR camera requires about 32 GB of storage per day (3*86400/8000 => 32.4 GB).  So a 512 GB card would give nearly 16 days of retention for a single camera. 

They also say 1 mbps for 1080p.  So reducing to 1080p triples the retention (about 47 days for a 512 GB card).  That's almost 12 days retention with 4 cameras.

I suspect their bandwidth guidance is somewhat conservative (rounded up), so in practice you'd probably get a bit more than this estimate.

So there is enough storage for this to be practical.  Other considerations are the sustained throughput in the base and the card needed to sustain the recordings (while also viewing them).  You'd want at least a U1 class card, ideally it would be U3  or better (also known as V30).  I have no idea if the base station can keep up with that or not.

jsturess
Luminary
Luminary

I think I've read that there was a limit of 256, but can't find it anymore, has this changed or I have misunderstood it 🙂

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jsturess wrote:

I think I've read that there was a limit of 256, but can't find it anymore, has this changed or I have misunderstood it 🙂

I don't know what the limit is.  @JamesC, it'd be good if this was added to https://kb.arlo.com/000062124/How-do-I-record-4K-videos-to-a-microSD-card

I use 128 GB U3 cards in my own base stations.

jsturess
Luminary
Luminary

I think it was in this KB article a read it, but the maximum size is not mentioned anymore......

Jramadan
Star
Star
I have a Samsung 512gb in mine and it works fine
Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation