Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
sinnamarato
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having a really weird but annoying issue with all 4 of my Ultra Cameras.   At random times, one of the four cameras will go from almost full bars to very weak or even no signal. It will eventually return to full strength and could be fine for days.   It's never the same camera.   My base station is about 25 feet from my router.   The most distant camera is 60 feet and the closest is 20. feet from the base with just the outside wall separating the signal.   The base is in the center of the house away from anything that can cause interference.  Battery drain is also not an issue.   All firmware updates have been made and I have restarted the base on a few occasions to no avail.  I've even pulled the batteries from the cameras to restart them.   It's not limited to the time of the day either so it could be at 5pm or 3am.   Any clue as to why any of the  four cameras to have a signal drop?  

12 REPLIES 12
RafS
Apprentice
Apprentice

The camera goes from a 2.4ghz connection to a 5ghz connection and that's why you see the signal drop.  I have the same issue with one of mine but after a year, it's never been an issue where the low signal has been an issue. 

sinnamarato
Aspirant
Aspirant
RafS
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unfortunately no, the hub works like a router and picks the frequency it thinks is best.  Maybe try moving the hub to a more central location if that is even an option for you, it wasn't for me so I just stopped looking at the signal bars and learned to live with it. 

sinnamarato
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks.  It's already in the most center position of the house.  I even ran a shielded ethernet cable under the floor to accomplish that.   I can ignore the low signal bars but I can't ignore when a camera goes completely offline though.  

RafS
Apprentice
Apprentice

Has the offline issue just started recently?  There is a bug that's been going around for the last few weeks that shows that camera not being connected when in reality, it's a software issue with the app.

sinnamarato
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just the last few days.  They've made at least 3 updates in the last week so perhaps they created a new bug while fixing another.  However, there are times when I lose complete connectivity so I don't think its a false signal indication on the app. 

RafS
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've had "Your device is not connected" on all my cameras for the last two weeks and it's due to something on Arlo's end.  It seems to have stopped happening today so I think they may have figured out what the issue is was and I have a feeling they'll blame it on a server problem which is what they did when my Orbi kept dropping it's connection every 10 minutes a couple months ago and that lasted about 2 weeks as well..

sinnamarato
Aspirant
Aspirant

But would that cause the orange light to flash on the base?  I thought that was indicative of a true connection failure.

RafS
Apprentice
Apprentice

The only time I had the flashing yellow light on the base was when the base kept losing connecting with the router and not the cameras.  This is the issue I was having with my Orbi a couple month back when the orbi would reset every ten minutes and obviously the connection to the cameras was also lost in the process since the base lost connection to the internet.   I would check the connection between the base and your router.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@sinnamarato 

Yea I have seen same as @RafS  stated with blinking amber light. When it happens all my internet connections are off line so it wasn't just the Hub going off line. At times it is several times a day. When It comes back everything is fine. 

sinnamarato
Aspirant
Aspirant

When mine is flashing orange, I can still get in to see live camera feeds with audio from my working cameras though.  That's what is really weird about this whole thing.

RafS
Apprentice
Apprentice

I wonder if a reset and setup from scratch would be worth your time cause that does sound weird.  I don't believe a camera losing connection causes the base to flash, you would only know that it's lost connection though the app itself. Something else is going on, maybe a firmware update that didn't go like it should and it keeps trying to update.  Have you tried power cycling the base?  That is usually my go to move with most electronics when I run out of other ideas..

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation