Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Bad Motion Detection, what am I doing wrong?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
HMC8403
Follower
Follower

I purchased the Ultra 4 pack for outdoor security t my home. With the virus and weather I played with the cameras inside and they seemed to work. With better weather this past weekend, I stared the outside placement. First I placed one camera the second floor soffit but after a day had no motion events. Today I lowered the camera so that it was 9 feet off the ground and have only a modest improvement. The weird thing is that I have a $25 Wyze cam pointed out a second floor window and it is detecting motion on the entire visible area.

Referring to the attached picture, the Ultra with sense motion one I pass the basketball net and when walking towards the camera from the street corner, motion isn't started until I almost reach the walk leading to my front door. The camera does not sense any cars driving on any of the streets.

I have a Wyze cam mounted inside a second floor window that is picking up everything, even a car coming down the cross street at the corner and turning away from the camera.

Camera settings: Full View 120deg FOV, Activity Zones off, Sensitivity 100% in all modes, tried with Smart Notifications both on and off.  And I did try with a different camera just in case.

Thanks.

Camera PlacementCamera PlacementArlo Ultra recordingArlo Ultra recordingWyze Cam recordingWyze Cam recording

1 REPLY 1
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

HMC8403,

The distance of the movement from the cameras position is important to factor in when positioning for best performance. The best area for motion detection is inside 5-20 feet across the cameras field of view. For more information on positioning your camera, take a look here: How do I position my Arlo Ultra camera to detect motion in specific areas?

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation