Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ExpatEU
Tutor
Tutor

I have 4 Ultra cameras, but unsatisfied with the motion detection trigger (it doesn't detect at the end of a long hallway). Is it possible to buy a motion detection device (Arlo brand or 3rd party) and hook up into the Arlo ecosystem so that when it detects motion it can force the camera to start recording?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ExpatEU,

This could be done using an additional Arlo camera, doorbell or lights. 

Is the issue with the hallway the distance the motion you're trying to detect or perhaps the camera positioning? You might take a look at this article for tips on positioning for best performance: How do I position my Arlo Ultra camera to detect motion in specific areas?

JamesC

ExpatEU
Tutor
Tutor

As you can see (hopefully) in the attached pic, this is actually a long terrace on the side of my house. When I enter the picture from the far side the motion detector doesn't register motion and begin recording until 10 feet away (even with sensitivty on 100%). So my idea was to put a motion detector at the end of the terrace and create a new mode that when the motion is triggered it will start recording. I read that "Arlo’s ambitious 2019 plans include home security devices, and HomeKit, Zigbee, and Z-Wave support" (and Apple, which oddly isn't in the headline). But I guess those are not linked in yet and Arlo has no motion detectors of their own?

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei
@ExpatEU wrote:

When I enter the picture from the far side the motion detector doesn't register motion and begin recording until 10 feet away (even with sensitivty on 100%). So my idea was to put a motion detector at the end of the terrace and create a new mode that when the motion is triggered it will start recording.

In the absence of a standalone detector -- a door switch would be good  -- as @JamesC says something like an Arlo Security Light would work. I have done that.

The light does not have to come on to trigger a camera. The light would also be useful at night.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation