Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
Bunnis
Follower
Follower
My Arlo ultra suddenly stopped detecting motion and won’t send me alerts, it’s only 2 weeks old and worked fine till a few days ago.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Backend changes have been released to address an issue some users were experiencing the resulted in missing notifications and library recordings. We believe these fixes have addressed the issue, if you're still experiencing this behavior, please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
SAM21
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same here, my stop working after the firmware update a couple of days ago. I was following the others comments user we’re having with there system. But now my cameras are not working at all. No motion detection, no live streaming, no notification. I have completed all of the normal steps (rebooting, resetting, removed batteries, removed cameras from account, added cameras back the smart hub). I have not wasted my time calling support - will wait until after the weekend to see if the start working again. If not, I will just cut my lose because it to late for me to return them. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bunnis,

What mode are you using? Are you able to manually record a live stream?

JamesC

Whops
Apprentice
Apprentice

I tried to reply to JamesC post in "Arlo ultra motion detection"  But looks like maybe they have closed that thread at least I did not have a reply icon to reply to that post.    Here are my observations since that update.

Appeared like all was fixed,   was able to set activity zone,  and only gave alerts and recorded video that was in the activity zone.   That is until today Christmas Day!   Christmas Eve,  came home from a party at my Son's house.  And the camera worked fine,  alerted me as I pulled in the driveway,  recorded video of us pulling in,  and walking up to the front door,  where Ring Door Bell picked us up.    About 3:30 am a motion controlled security light came on in my back yard.   I got up,  took a look out did not see anything,  checked cameras nothing recorded.   Went back to bed.  (Probably a Racoon) This morning Christmas Day.   I got up went out back to feed the cat,  (Camera did not alert me or record video, usually does)   Then when I went out to the front of my house to get the newspaper and feed the squirrels, (Camera did not alert me or record video,  usually does)   Last alert and recording was 1:38 am when we came home.

I have twice recycled the smart base (pulled the power cord out,  waited 15 sec.  then powered back up) Still the cameras do not send any alerts or recordings.   Live view works great,  Signals are great to cameras,  video bandwidth is strong.   But nothing happens,  no motion detection?  or is Arlo servers having issues?   So hear we go again just when I was thinking that finally the Arlo was stepping up the Arlo Ultra was working as promised.  Then Christmas Day  System is Dead.  

So I am posting hear once again  to see if it is only me,  or did they do something again to take down the system.   Please let me know.

SAM21
Apprentice
Apprentice
Same here - a few days ago all of my cameras started working again. Today I noticed just my Ultra cameras are not working again. I have (2) ultra (6) Pro 3 and (2) Pro 2.
Mark-V
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for the detailed information on this issue. I have opened a ticket for this issue, and will provide additional information once we are able. I will also follow up with a few of you via PM with some additional questions.

-MarkV

SJAkra
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have come to notice that this whole setup is becoming a dog's breakfast. 

Motion detection has stopped working

Cameras are intermittently losing connection (not all at once) but it seems like at any time one will be offline.

Live stream interrupts recording. I heard this was supposed to be corrected in ARLO Pro2.

Continual web errors stating Flash Player needs updating and does not work after updating. I can still use the phone app but it is pretty useless for close in detail on a small screen.

So I have spent more than a few thousand on base stations and cameras and have regrettably recently told my neighboring shop to try these cameras. It has left me vulnerable to theft with no evidence recorded. Today I spotted a potential theft but cannot prove it due to all the above reasons. 

It is pretty expensive to have these mock security cameras on display. 

I have done all the usual things like reboots, re-syncs, updates. What do you propose Netgear Arlo people? A refund ?

I am not happy about this as when I started using the Q back 3 years ago it served me well so I started to add and upgrade but my trust in this product has all but gone.

Also, I have one smart hub with the Ultra kit and another Arlo Pro at home. I have a combination of both camera setups and both suffer the same.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SJAkra wrote:

Live stream interrupts recording. I heard this was supposed to be corrected in ARLO Pro2.

Not sure where you heard that it would be fixed, but I haven't seen that posted here.  FWIW, I agree that live streaming shouldn't interrupt the recordings.  But it does.

@SJAkra wrote:

Continual web errors stating Flash Player needs updating and does not work after updating. I can still use the phone app but it is pretty useless for close in detail on a small screen.

The error message there is misleading - generally it is shown because the web browser is blocking Flash for the Arlo site.  If you let us know what browser you are using, we can let you know how to enable it.  Unfortunately you will need to do this repeatedly (none of the browsers allow flash permamently).

Arlo has announced that they will be dropping flash, but they haven't said when.

@SJAkra wrote:

Cameras are intermittently losing connection (not all at once) but it seems like at any time one will be offline.

How far are the cameras from the base?

@SJAkra wrote:

Motion detection has stopped working

FWIW, motion detection is working with my own Ultras and Pro2s.  Though it is possible that some motion events are being lost (I haven't checked for that recently).

There are several reports from other users saying that they are seeing local recordings that aren't making it to the cloud.  So if your base stations support local storage (USB thumb drives or microSD), then you might consider adding some local storage.

SJAkra
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your input and perspectives.

The cameras are all within 5 - 6 metres from the base station with no internal walls or barriers that might disrupt the signal. It doesn't seem to matter where the camera is when dropouts occur. It has been observed that any of them can be effected at any  random time. I cannot find a common denominator.

On the subject of the motion detection not picking up movement: The cameras that I have noticed this happening with have clear line of sight to an entry door where one camera seems indecisive on who it will capture and who it will not. Another camera on the same door does not see the same movement even though they are both within 2.5 metres of the door. One is left and one is right of the entry.  They will both pick up movement intermittently but it is not guaranteed and very frustrating.

I have local storage as well and it has footage on there but seems to have periods of missing time. This happened only yesterday when the shop was very busy and the cameras should have been capturing a LOT more.

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Hi SJakra, the issues you are experiencing have about 5-6 active posts in the Ultra forum. You are not alone. It has nothing due to the way your setup is contrary to what others are asking you to check.

My system too was working perfectly from December 16 to December 26 until the sporadic missing smart notifications and recordings not in my library.

Hopefully Arlo will resolve soon but in the meantime you don’t need to make any changes to your system.
arlouser121119
Star
Star

Before the update, it was working perfectly for me. My Ultra cameras are AC powered and recordings were able to show few seconds ahead before the object enters into the frame (3 seconds look-back). I don't use activity zone. But I saw some people complained about received too much notifications and activity zone wasn't working. After the firmware update on 12/18-12/19, one of my camera stopped working. The one that works, while AC powered, recordings now begin seconds after the object entered into the frame. In some recordings, I only able to see object such as vehicles exits the frame. This is a complete mess.

SJAkra
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reassurance I am not alone. I hope it can be resolved as I am starting to review my setup and regretting advocating so heavily for this system

SJAkra
Aspirant
Aspirant

arlouser, I have now noticed similar now that you mention it.

Whops
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just an update on what has been happening in my case,  seems the only way I was able to achieve any results from customer support was through the BBB Compliant.    On Sat.  Dec 28, 2019 I received a phone call from Joseph Fuellas, Customer Care Advocate, Arlo Technologies, Inc.  He put me on hold,  and then transferred me to Jesse ,level 2 support. (Of course these guys are in the Philippines)   Of course he did the usual thing,  wanted me to remove the Ultra Base Station from the app. Then install the Ultra Base Station again and add the cameras again.  I have already done that so many times,  I told him that does not solve the problem.   So after asking me many questions, and then putting me on hold for 5 minutes while he discussed with the engineers,  he came back asked more questions,  and then on hold again while he conferred with the engineers again. (Seems it would be easier for both the engineers and myself if they just let me talk to them, instead of 2nd hand info) Then he came back on the line,  Said they were going to replace my Ultra Base Station.  I should receive it on Friday,  depending on time of day I receive it,  As to whether I will install it Friday or Saturday and see what happens.   Personally,  I still think the issue is with the app update done on Dec. 25, 2019  as everything was working great after the firmware updates to the base station and camera.  Until the app update.   But one thing I have learned in the months of dealing with Arlo,  is it is never their fault.  I must have done something to cause the problem.  You would think by now,  they would have learned their lesson and would test software updates before releasing them and messing up everyone's systems.  So far in the 4 months I have had Arlo cameras installed,  they have never been reliable.  If I was going to purchase a camera system I would not recommend doing business with Arlo. 

SJAkra
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any updates from any body regarding this detection issue? 

I missed evidence of a potential theft today because the detection is either late or not working at all.

I am mighty unhappy with this system .

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Backend changes have been released to address an issue some users were experiencing the resulted in missing notifications and library recordings. We believe these fixes have addressed the issue, if you're still experiencing this behavior, please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation