Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo ultra barely/hardly works with google home hub

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Nohemi
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, I just bought two Ultra camera's with the base station and setting things up was easy peasy... Adding the Arlo devices to the google home display was also easy HOWEVER.....:

- Streaming camera 1 works....sometimes... also, the duration it works is variable, like, sometimes the stream stops after 4 minutes of streaming then after &^%#@# trying to get the stream back up it might stream as long as 30 minutes (27 was the record of non stop streaming).

- Camera 2, named "Jesse" instead of the default name never works on the google hub screen. Even though the renaming was done prior to linking the Arlo account with google.

- Chrome, Internet Explorer and Edge browsers do not allow me to view my camera's because I need to install the latest flashplayer (which I have). 

So, besides the awful delay when streaming "live" (this is bad), how do I get my camera's to work with google home hub? This is the main reason I bought these expensive camera's. It says right on the box they work with google assistent so... yeah, no. For me that's partially true in best case...

I have tried to unlink and relink my arlo account to no avail... any suggestions? Do I need to add more information? Hope someone can help me out before I'm returning these camera's and buy the google ones. (I do not want to as I do like the look of the Arlo ultra's and the wireless part is also a nice feature).

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nohemi wrote:

- Chrome, Internet Explorer and Edge browsers do not allow me to view my camera's because I need to install the latest flashplayer (which I have). 

The error message is incorrect - as all of these browsers have built-in flash players. So you don't actually need to install the Adobe plugin.

There is an issue with Internet Explorer, so don't use that.

However, you can use both Chrome and Edge.  With Chrome you click on the padlock in the address bar (ideally before you log in).  Then enable flash.  You'll get a reload prompt, which you need to click on.  Then log in.  After that Flash will work with the site until you close the browser.  You'll have to re-enable Flash the next time you open it.

With Edge, you click on the "here" in the error message.  That won't take you to the Adobe site - instead it will give you a pop-up that gives you the option to allow Flash once.  Click on that, and live stream will work.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nohemi wrote:

The error message is incorrect - as all of these browsers have built-in flash players. So you don't actually need to install the Adobe plugin.

There is an issue with Internet Explorer, so don't use that.

However, you can use both Chrome and Edge.  With Chrome you click on the padlock in the address bar (ideally before you log in).  Then enable flash.  You'll get a reload prompt, which you need to click on.  Then log in.  After that Flash will work with the site until you close the browser.  You'll have to re-enable Flash the next time you open it.

With Edge, you click on the "here" in the error message.  That won't take you to the Adobe site - instead it will give you a pop-up that gives you the option to allow Flash once.  Click on that, and live stream will work.

Nohemi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you Stephen. This resolved my issue with chrome indeed. I never saw the block popup but found it. Works now.

Just need to resolve the Google Hub connection issues now. Hope someone had similar problems and know of a solution 🙂

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nohemi wrote:

- Streaming camera 1 works....sometimes... also, the duration it works is variable, like, sometimes the stream stops after 4 minutes of streaming then after &^%#@# trying to get the stream back up it might stream as long as 30 minutes (27 was the record of non stop streaming).

- Camera 2, named "Jesse" instead of the default name never works on the google hub screen. Even though the renaming was done prior to linking the Arlo account with google.

The stoppage of streaming after ~30 minutes of live view is normal because these are battery-operated. Even if plugged in, it will still stop.

Have you set the name of "Jesse" in your Home app?

Nohemi
Aspirant
Aspirant
Jguerdat thanks for replying. Ive renamed the device in the Arlo app. Ik think I can get it to work when I have time to reset everything. The timeout after 30 minutes sounds like something smart and I guess I can live with that but then I need tot get another cam to use as a baby monitor.

Ive now had the camera's for a few days and the quality and the wireless aspect made me decide to keep them. Just have to put them in a different location.

Thanks both for helping me out and after getting camera two working ill Mark this post as solved!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you're looking to stay in the Arlo system for a baby camera, look at the Arlo Baby which supports extended live streaming and other features.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation