Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo ultra 4k - You need to pay you to access recordings

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Akiteus
Aspirant
Aspirant

TOTAL CON DO NOT BUY FROM ARLO. You need to pay you to access recordings on your own SD card after paying £900 plus you should be ashamed. You dont make this known in fact you hide it. How can you justify tricking your customers so you extract yet more money from them. I understand you need to make money but charging people to view their own device data is just greed. Im selling this crap and going with a company that does not screw there customers like this.

12 REPLIES 12
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Akiteus wrote:
You need to pay you to access recordings on your own SD card after paying £900 plus you should be ashamed. 

That is not the case.  You need to pay for cloud storage if you have a newer camera (starting with the Ultra in 2018), but you do not need to pay to access your SD card.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

Akiteus
Aspirant
Aspirant
This is the misleading statement i am refering too. Once my trial ended i had no option in the app to access these recordings. I do understand you can remove the sd card to view videos vut his makes the system unusable as a cctv system thus my statement.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Akiteus wrote:
This is the misleading statement i am refering too. Once my trial ended i had no option in the app to access these recordings. I do understand you can remove the sd card to view videos vut his makes the system unusable as a cctv system thus my statement.

if you are using a microSD, then you must have a VMB5000, which does support access in the app and does not require a subscription.

How capacity is the microSD card you have installed?

Are you using Android or iOS?  

Are you seeing the option to select your base station when you go to the library?  It should start by saying "cloud" at the top of the library page.  Then you can touch that, and it will give you the option of selecting your base.

Akiteus
Aspirant
Aspirant
I suggest you try this yourself. When the subscriptuon ends there are no menu options available to do any of this configuration. I was only able to view the camera live.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Akiteus wrote:
I suggest you try this yourself. When the subscriptuon ends there are no menu options available to do any of this configuration. I was only able to view the camera live.

You are able to go into the base station settings in app by

1. selecting settings from the main screen
  2. selecting my devices 
  3. selecting the base from the list
  4. scroll down to storage settings and select that.

If you have trouble with that, tell us where on that path you get stuck.

On that screen you will see on/off controls for 

• Record Locally (which needs to be set)
  • Best Local Recording (which I suggest setting)
  • Overwrite Automatically (which I also suggest setting)
  • Direct Storage Access (which needs to be set)

So make sure all those settings are properly configured.

Then see if "storage status" is shown as "ready"  If it's not, then select storage status, and see if "local Storage Status" is good. 

It's possible that the microSD card needs to be formatted - there is a format control on the bottom of that screen.  Again, let us know if you have trouble finding those settings, or if you have a problem setting them as described above.

Sennant
Aspirant
Aspirant

The direct storage access option is no longer available in the app (either android or ios).  Can't see storage data without that function and can't enable it as it doesn't exist.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Sennant wrote:

The direct storage access option is no longer available in the app (either android or ios).  Can't see storage data without that function and can't enable it as it doesn't exist.

It is working for me.

Are you trying to set it up for the first time?  

What model base station do you have?

Sennant
Aspirant
Aspirant

VMB5000.  Have had it setup with 4 cameras for a couple of years.  Worked fine.   Worked even as recently as last week.   Noticed this week I have no access to my direct storage videos anymore on either platform.   Direct access toggle is gone from the menus.   Just went through a complete factory reset today and redownload of apps.   Still nodda.  The option os no longer available to me in Android, IOS or on the web interface.    I currently have firmware 1.18.0.3_1197_d554faf which isn't listed anywhere on this site.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Sennant wrote:

I currently have firmware 1.18.0.3_1197_d554faf which isn't listed anywhere on this site.

I don't have that firmware at present (still running 1.17.x on my VMB5000s).  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Same here. By any chance is @Sennant in the early preview (can't remember the actual name - NOT beta) program?

Sennant
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not that I'm aware of.  Don't even know how to sign up for that.

Sennant
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, after going back into the app AGAIN today, my firmware has been downgraded back to 1.17.1.2 and I have access to direct storage again.   So it is definitely firmware-related.   Would be nice if they actually put release notes up when they upload firmware to the servers for download.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation