Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo app geofencing and two factor identification is incredibly unreliable and poorly designed

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Julmo
Aspirant
Aspirant

The stupid app randomly logged me out (and with it removed my geofencing settings) yet again! 
after battling with geofencing not working for 18 months, it has been working for the last few months, leading to a false sense of security! I shouldn’t have trusted it!

it randomly logged me out in the last hour, in between me popping to the shops for thirty minutes - how did I know? Geofencing deactivated the system when I arrived home at 5pm, I went out at 6:30pm and when I returned at 7pm the stupid system started pinging at me as I moved around the house! 
(on a positive note, this time it was stuck in on mode and not off mode, which went unnoticed for days on end).

anyway the stupid system wanted two factor identification to be enabled when signing in. 
the kicker… when I went to my email app to get the code it was sending the stupid app would refresh and demand a new code!

there was no way I could get the code from my email and enter in the app! 

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Logging out has no effect on any settings. The app is just an interface to the system which keeps on working according to your configuration. The app doesn't hold that config - the hub and cameras do.

I'd start by rebooting the hub.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

Logging out has no effect on any settings.

True, but of course geofencing won't work properly when you are logged out.

@jguerdat wrote:

I'd start by rebooting the hub.

Makes sense.

Julmo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I sent a text and got around the issue that way as I was able selected the code from the text message without changing screens. 

It’s no good restarting the hub if I had I hadn’t been home. 
had I been home and gone out without realising, geofencing would have been stuck in home mode, which would have meant that until I realised I had received no notifications, I would have had no cameras. 

I have found it to be an incredibly frustrating flaw in the software, which meant that I had absolutely no faith in the cameras notifying me (or recording) if we had a burglary. 

I had just started to trust them again as it hadn’t done it in a few months, after frequently doing it for a year, but yet again it has faulted. 

it should not be behaving like this. 

Julmo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Cameras have not armed in 13 days!

I only just realised that they had not armed as I was expecting a family member to enter my house an hour ago and did not get a notification.

sure as heck - opened the app, logged in and it quickly identified that I was outside the geofencing location and armed the blooming cameras! 

I should not need to be actively checking on, and remembering to check, whether or not the cameras are arming when I leave home - that’s why I have set up geofencing! 

INCREDIBLY UNRELIABLE!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Which version of the Arlo app are you using? 

Julmo
Aspirant
Aspirant

4.1 (I have just seen an update). 
but this has been happening for several years. 

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation