Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary

I just wanted to start this discussion to see how others would think about it. 4k is great, but there are allot of reasons still it is pushing some boundries that the tech struggles to keep up with. 

What if we take a different approach and simply look at the merits of the camera without actual 4k recording. What do we get from the ultra out of the box as a upgrade from the pro 2.

1. Zones without the need for always plugged in.

2. Spotlight

3. Autotracking that in theory shoud provide better visability and automatic zooming without 

4. Wider Field of View

5. Color night recording

6. HDR video Recording.

7. Smarthub with Zigbee and Zwave integration for home automation.

The Smarthub is situational as it depends on your equipment. I personally will pass on the hub if i can use my old one because i prefer USB external storage and I have smartthings already.

The big loss is the 7day free recording. I suspect that impact depends on where you are in the ecosystem. If you have 5 or more cameras already that may not be a big deal. If you have less then it is a killer. 

One thing i have yet to hear a firm answer on is how much space is used with local 4k recording and what the bitrate is. That is important to know since you will likely want to store a certain amount localy.

I just feel like we are focusing so much on recording in 4k that there are some other benifits that may be getting over looked. I would love to record in 4k, but being someone that has my own home video server and been dabbeling in it for sometime I recoginze the challenges with it. 

1 REPLY 1
brh
Master
Master

Don't forget about the camera having a siren built in. This has been requested for years. Also the improved audio system with noise cancelling.

Brian

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation