Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Ultra vs Arlo 3 for direct storage

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
K9trainer
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the Ultra 5 camera system and want to us "direct storage" the only problem id the size of the micro sd cards and how you have to access the recordings.

Does it make more since to buy a WMB4540 base station so I can use a usb drive connected straight to my Netgear router via usb cable and access the recordings through "Ready shear on the Netgear router?

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@K9trainer wrote:

I have the Ultra 5 camera system and want to use "direct storage" the only problem is the size of the micro sd cards and how you have to access the recordings.

What issue are you having with the size?  I'm using 128 GB microSD cards, and they have plenty of space.

Also, what is your problem with accessing the recordings?  The main problem I see is that you can't use the web client - hopefully something they will fix.

@K9trainer wrote:

Does it make more since to buy a WMB4540 base station so I can use a usb drive connected straight to my Netgear router via usb cable and access the recordings through "ReadyShare on the Netgear router?

No.  You won't be able to use a USB drive connected to the router.  You have to connect the drive to the base - and it is accessed the same way as the recordings on the microSD.

K9trainer
Aspirant
Aspirant

I haven’t been using this form of access yet. I’m still using the cloud. Since I have 5 4k cameras and I have them trigger a lot I have a lot of recordings. If Arlo would have kept the USB port or had both micro SD and usb we would have the option to use a usb memory drive.

What speed card are you using and how many ultra cameras do you have set to record?

And how are you accessing your card?

Thank you

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@K9trainer wrote:

What speed card are you using and how many ultra cameras do you have set to record?

I'm using 128GB U3 cards (Samsung EVO).  FWIW, these will hold about 95 hours of recordings at the bitrates Arlo is using for 4K. 

I have two VMB5000 bases, the more heavily loaded one has two Ultras and two Pro2s.  

@K9trainer wrote:

And how are you accessing your card?

Direct Access to local storage is enabled.  

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation