Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
MVN
Guide
Guide

What is the normal delay time for the live feed for the cameras to come on? I have 200 Mbps download and 200 Mbps upload fiber internet. I am using a Linksys Velop mesh whole home wifi system. I have four wifi tower throught the house.

I still having issues with delays and display of all features within the live feed like the camera icon not showing during the live feed.

Any and all suggesstions welcome

Thank you

MVN

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

7 seconds seems to be about right. As long as it's not your ISP speeds, the reason is the need to go through the servers and wake the cameras to start the feed. These aren't IP cameras so you're not connecting directly to them.

DSMagic
Star
Star

This is a serious problem. Within 2 days of installing the cameras I've had at least one jerry can full of gas stolen and the cameras never picked it up because of this delay. The cameras should have microSD cards in each camera to buffer the capture so it can start recording imediately. It's not a security system if it cannot even capture a guy grabing a can of gas and leaving. Many of my recordings are after the fact. I have a recordeing of a truck in the driveway with no driver and no evidence of how the truck got into my driveway. This is obviously not very useful. 

MVN
Guide
Guide

Hi DSmagic,

I totally agree that it is a serious problem that Arlo is really ignoring. I get an alert and when i look at the video there is nothing there and by the time it’s live, whatever it was it’s gone. How can it be classified as  security camera?

the problem is the delay for the app to open and then trying to find the camera from the alert. It doesn’t make any sense. The app should go to the camera that gave the  

alert. 

MVN

Khanh23
Initiate
Initiate

I am having a similar issue with lagging videos.  We seem to be on the latest firmware (1.12.2.3_59_4a57cce).  We are on fiber (over 200 Mps download and 175 Mps upload).  We get alerts, but when we look at the video, the person on camera is already walking away from the porch.   Additionally, the smart alert is not working correctly.  I have it set for people and animals, but it goes off on everything (other motion and vehicle).

I have it recorded to the cloud and not local SD card. I do not have the power connect to the outlet.  The cameras are using the internal battery.   Could this be the root cause of such long delays (over 15 seconds) in video recording?

Any idea where I can go to troubleshoot these issues?

DSMagic
Star
Star
It seems Arlo thinks this is a feature, not a bug. I’m sure it’s the most common complaint they have and still they have not done or said anything about it. The easy fix to this problem would be to beef up the storage on the actual camera. I’d like a microSD on each camera. Local storage would allow instant recording. The second best option, assuming the delay is caused by AI processing, is to start recording before any AI processing and discard whatever fails the test.
Khanh23
Initiate
Initiate

DSMagic - agree.

I don't know how the quality control dept. OK'ed this for release when the camera doesn't do the basics of what a security camera should do.

We are getting fustrated with the lag in the video recording and constant alerts.  I am looking into how to return this since I bought them online.

DSMagic
Star
Star

@Khanh23 wrote:

DSMagic - agree.

I don't know how the quality control dept. OK'ed this for release when the camera doesn't do the basics of what a security camera should do.

We are getting fustrated with the lag in the video recording and constant alerts.  I am looking into how to return this since I bought them online.

Yes, I would have returned it as well except there are no other 4K wire free cameras on the market and that's a requirement. I have thieves comeing through my yard every week and the police don't do anything if the images are in any way disputable. So with the Ultra I only capture the dummies who stop and hang out for a while and then pause to smile at the camera. I've had 4 convictions in the last couple months, since installing, but I've missed more than double that because Arlo has no evidence of anyone even entering the yard. When I complained about it the support staff literally told me this was a feature. I'm not joking. As though capturing the data before uploading it over the internet would be a downgrade of some sort. Noooo, they think it's better to let 60% of the theives go undetected so that the technology can upload all the data to the cloud as the primary source of storage and only make it available if it manages to get fully uploaded without any errors. It's so crazy that I'm shocked they are not called out on this. Someone needs to do an article. I'll be source. 

MVN
Guide
Guide

DSMagic, 

I agree, Arlo is getting complacent thinking that they fully fixed the problem in the lagging blaming internet service I have 200/200 Mbps. They have not fully fixed the issue, it is frustrating. I spent over 1k for the 4 camera system and there is still many inconsistencies. most of the time the video laggs beyond 8, 9 sec onds, and many times it doesn't come on at all. 

Categorized as a security camera and it take so long to go to live view. Once you get a notification you have to wait for the app to open which takes a few seconds ok, but then you have to find the camera that provided the last notification and wait another 7-10 seconds if it opens at all. It just doesnt make any sense. why doesn't the app opens to the camera that provided the last notification.

Frustrating!

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation