Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Ultra rain protection

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
bigjoe495
Guide
Guide

I have the Arlo Ultra 4 camera kit.   Last night we had some heavy rain.  The rain was going on the camera lens.  I was not able to see a thing, when trying to view my cameras.  Is there a skin or some kind of shield that can keep the rain from getting on the camera lens?  

Thanks Joe 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

It will depend on location.  I have 4 on the sides that are under the eaves and rain on the lens is no problem.  Heavy rain will affect the pic but that can't be helped.  On the ends of the house that would be to high so use Wasserstein skins with a hood,  they help and don't seem to affect the 180 except perhaps a little more halo effect at night.  Am going to try some covers on Amazon designed for that purpose.  They are about 4 1/2 high, 10 wide and stick out 8.  Some have said they have some glare but most were happy with them.  I will just spray the underside with a dark rubber spray.  The one on my driveway I put in a bird feeder.  With a black skin it looks like a bird sitting there lol.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The fact that the lens has to stick out from the camera body to achieve the 180 degree view means it's prone to water droplets forming. No hood would help unless it also blocked some of the view. You can try placing it under an eave or other structure and/or carefully wiping the lens with RainX or similar. No guarantees on either helping.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

It will depend on location.  I have 4 on the sides that are under the eaves and rain on the lens is no problem.  Heavy rain will affect the pic but that can't be helped.  On the ends of the house that would be to high so use Wasserstein skins with a hood,  they help and don't seem to affect the 180 except perhaps a little more halo effect at night.  Am going to try some covers on Amazon designed for that purpose.  They are about 4 1/2 high, 10 wide and stick out 8.  Some have said they have some glare but most were happy with them.  I will just spray the underside with a dark rubber spray.  The one on my driveway I put in a bird feeder.  With a black skin it looks like a bird sitting there lol.

Crosive
Apprentice
Apprentice
You can carefully coat your lense with a hydrophobic coating. I used aquapel on mine and I haven't seen rain drops on the lense since.
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation