Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I bought a new Arlo Ultra camera kit earlier this month and ever since I got it, I noticed that at night sometimes it will flash purple once when recording. It doesn't do this on every recording but it does it on most and it will only ever flash in a purple colour once either at the very beginning (which will make the thumbnail purple) or within the first few seconds of the recording starting. The whole video turns purple for about half a second (it's very quick).

Is this a hardware or software issue? Can it be fixed? I doubt it's a hardware issue as I've noticed this issue on at least two of my cameras which pick up motion at night.

Here is a sample video: https://my.arlo.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/E73F218050CF0594_201910

I've also attached two screenshots of the issue.

IMG_0270.pngIMG_0271.png

6 REPLIES 6
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Retired_Member wrote:

It doesn't do this on every recording but it does it on most and it will only ever flash in a purple colour once either at the very beginning (which will make the thumbnail purple) or within the first few seconds of the recording starting. 

Night vision kicking in?

This video is not able to play in your browser.
Please download to view.

Embedded pictures will not show up in messages until a moderator has approved them. This is not true of pictures added as attachments.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@michaelkenward

Sorry, attached the photo in this message as an attachment.

I thought it could be just due to the night vision kicking in - if this behaviour is normal and it's not a hardware issue with the camera itself I'd be happy.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Here is a second photo since I can't attach two in one.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Have seen my light on the Ultra come on during the night ( triggering a Q camera to record; btw it is normal to do this for a second every now and then ) BUT, never purple in color !

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

As clarification, this is only occurring on some clips and is at the beginning of the video clip very briefly? The rest of the video is normal? It seems like this is the IR filter engaging before the spotlight fully illuminates the scene. Within Settings > My Devices > select your Ultra camera > Video Settings > Low Light Settings > Toggle off Night Vision. After toggling off Night Vision and using only the spotlight, do you see the same behavior?

JamesC

Retired_Member
Not applicable

@JamesC It's occurring in most clips and it's very brief - it just flashes purple so it probably happens in 1 frame (under half a second). The rest of the video is perfectly normal.

I've just toggled off Night Vision so it only uses the spotlight, and it still has the same issue.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation