Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Ultra motion detection through window

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
aaronlee03
Aspirant
Aspirant
I can’t find the article to link.

The article was written on arlo, updated on 02/26/2019 article ID: 000039114

In the article it stated that the ultra also has frame by frame comparison as a way of motion detection. This would allow the ultra to be placed alongside a window to detect motion outside. How do I activate this feature and disable passive infrared?

Thanks
12 REPLIES 12
brh
Master
Master

@aaronlee03 

for whatever reason, I have been told that this feature has been removed. No word on whether or not this feature will be restored or if so, when.

Brian

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

This is probably the article you are looking for.

https://kb.arlo.com/000039114/Does-motion-detection-work-through-glass-or-windows

The behavior has changed with Ultra firmware updates, but I believe the current behavior is as follows: PIR detection is always used.  If an activity zone is setup on the camera, then frame-by-frame motion must also occur in the defined zone for motion to be declared.  There is no way to turn off PIR. You wouldn't want to either, because the false alarm rate is too high for frame-by-frame detection alone.

aaronlee03
Aspirant
Aspirant
That is the article I’m referring to. I don’t mind the false positives, as it currently stands I get 0 notifications, 0 recordings cause it’s sitting behind a window. My arlo Q plus is works great behind the window, was hoping I could upgrade video quality with ultra.
brh
Master
Master

@aaronlee03 

If your camera is plugged into power, have you tried to set up any Activity Zones? I am very curious to know if the camera will work through glass with an Activity Zone. My Ultra cameras are all mounted outside running solely on battery power for the moment so I can't test this.

Brian

aaronlee03
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine is currently not plugged in, but I have tried testing activity zones on battery power. In the activity zone settings it does state that the zone I draw out I can choose to pay attention to or ignore that zone. However, after I draw my zone, I did not see an option to ignore the zone or focus on activity on the zone so I do not know what it’s defaulted at. I will plug into a power source later this evening and test out the zones again. Will report back.
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

I believe things in the zone are detected and things outside are ignored.  I don't think there's a way to set an "ignore" zone.

Let us know how you make out.  I think there's been a few reports that motion outside the zone was still being detected for some people. You might try with a smaller zone than needed at first.

aaronlee03
Aspirant
Aspirant
So I attempted the activity zone plugged in and unplugged. To be honest, now I think the activity zones are broken lol. Reason I say this is cause on my other arlo cameras when I set an activity zone. When I go into mode and choose “motion is detected” I can modify what zones are active. On the ultra that option does not even appear. So now it does appear for sure that I will be unable to use the ultra behind a glass window.
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@brh wrote:

I am very curious to know if the camera will work through glass with an Activity Zone. 

Brian

It will not work through glass.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@aaronlee03 wrote:
So I attempted the activity zone plugged in and unplugged. To be honest, now I think the activity zones are broken lol. Reason I say this is cause on my other arlo cameras when I set an activity zone. When I go into mode and choose “motion is detected” I can modify what zones are active. On the ultra that option does not even appear. So now it does appear for sure that I will be unable to use the ultra behind a glass window.

Ultra will not detect motion through glass on the latest firmware. Even if it did, it wouldn't work at night unless you disabled the IR illuminator and provided your own alway-on lighting outside.

You wrote, "When I go into mode and choose “motion is detected” I can modify what zones are active." I've never sees anything like this under mode.  Can you post a screenshot?

aaronlee03
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes I do know about the IR turned off. The ultra intention was to replace my arlo Q plus.

See attached photo for zone selection.
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

Interesting. Thanks. That must be a screenshot for the Q. The Pro2 and Ultra have only the sensitivity slider. (I don't have any Qs.)

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Zone selection within modes is only available for Arlo Q/Q plus. With Wire-free cameras, zones are all considered to be "inclusion zones", meaning, motion is detected inside the zones created and not outside those zones.

As has been stated, Ultra will not detect through glass, regardless of whether or not zones are created.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation