Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
wagonerkl
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just received my Ultra.  When I connect the magnetic charging cable to the cameras (battery installed) the blue LED flashes rapidly about ten times and then goes out.  Is that normal?I have had it charging for hours but nothing changes.  How do I know if it is charging?  I cannot ADD it to my system because the hub doesn't see a camera.  I presume that is because of low battery power.  Since I cannot ADD it, I cannot view the battery power level.  Any advice is appreciated.  Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@wagonerkl wrote:

I just received my Ultra.  When I connect the magnetic charging cable to the cameras (battery installed) the blue LED flashes rapidly about ten times and then goes out.  Is that normal?

The flashing says that the camera is ready to sync.   But if the battery is charged, you shouldn't be seeing this when you simply connect the cable.  

I am thinking that either the battery or the camera is defective.  It's probably simplest to exchange it with the seller.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@wagonerkl wrote:

When I connect the magnetic charging cable to the cameras (battery installed) the blue LED flashes rapidly about ten times and then goes out.  Is that normal?

Yes. See the manual.

@wagonerkl wrote:

I have had it charging for hours but nothing changes.  How do I know if it is charging?  I cannot ADD it to my system because the hub doesn't see a camera.  I presume that is because of low battery power.  Since I cannot ADD it, I cannot view the battery power level. 

Unless you have turned off the camera LED, unlikely with a camera that is not connected, when it is fully charged the LED will turn blue and stay on.

I doubt if the battery is preventing the hub from seeing camera. At least, not after it has been ion charge for a bit.

But if the thing is on-charge, it should be in "permanent power" mode, which will allow you to add the camera to the hub.

I would troubleshoot the "add camera" process.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@wagonerkl wrote:

When I connect the magnetic charging cable to the cameras (battery installed) the blue LED flashes rapidly about ten times and then goes out.  Is that normal?

Yes. See the manual.

Not quite true.  When the camera is powered up (either by inserting the battery or by connecting the cable), then you will see the rapidly flashing LED.  

But in this case the camera has been charging for hours.  So simply connecting the camera shouldn't result in this behavior - because it should already be powered.

@wagonerkl's symptoms suggest that either the battery isn't functioning or that camera power circuitry isn't properly.  He could also try this procedure: https://kb.arlo.com/000052305/My-Arlo-Pro-or-Arlo-Pro-2-battery-is-dead-what-do-I-do

Though the battery is shipped with some charge in it, so I think it is unlikely that it was completely dead.

@michaelkenward wrote:

But if the thing is on-charge, it should be in "permanent power" mode, which will allow you to add the camera to the hub.

I would troubleshoot the "add camera" process.

It should be possible to add the camera with the cable connected, as the flashing blue LED means it is ready to sync.

So I agree that is something @wagonerkl could try.  If using the mobile app, then perhaps try using https://my.arlo.com in a PC web browser instead.  Perhaps also try holding down the sync button until the LED flashes amber, and then try again.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

yes blinking when first plugged in, solid blue when charged.  Now then when first syncing here's what happened to me when connecting mine.  Six of seven synced fine but one I had to put right next to the hub before it would.  Why I couldn't tell you and only the once.  Once on a re sync I had to bring one in from outside but synced fine then.

wagonerkl
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the answer.  I never seem to get to the steady blue but after many, many "Login Again" fails with the APP, I finally got to the "manual sync" option and that worked just fine. Once all my cameras were connected they all showed 99-100% charge.   

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Glad it worked out.

One reason why things settle down after you have managed to add a camera to the account is that the first thing that happens is a firmware update on the camera. This may iron out any wrinkles in the original firmware.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation