Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
brian23
Aspirant
Aspirant
Before I buy this, want to check with the tech community to see if I've got right. I currently have an Arlo Pro 2 system with 5 cameras. I want to 1.) upgrade to Ultra when available, while still using my Arlo pro 2 cameras and 2.) extend the range. Do I have this right? -Replace current Arlo Hub with Ultra smart Hub (I assume all hubs sold bundled with ultra are smart hub) so all cameras have full capability -Place a Netgear nighthawk AC1900 smart router where I want to extend the range (assume this one does not require purchasing another hub) -Move some of my Arlo Pro 2 cameras onto Nighthawk range, since I'm not sure I will get full capability of Ultra cameras on extension Does this look right? Could I do it better? thanks for your input!
6 REPLIES 6
brh
Master
Master

@brian23 

I have found that my Ultra Smart Hub has better range than the Pro bases. I have been able to mount 5 Ultra cameras outside, ( one each at each corner or the house and one at my front door), with the Ultra hub located in the middle of my home. Previously, it required 2 Pro bases to accomplish this so the only way I know of to test these is to purchase the Ultra system and try it for yourself, then take whatever steps as necessary to resolve any range issues.

Brian

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

just remember , the ONLY true way to expand area is with multi bases

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
brian23
Aspirant
Aspirant

ok, so does this mean if I'm looking for a significant improvment I need to buy both the extender AND another hub?  or just the extender will be fine?  thanks for input

Is the extender I mentioned the best one for what I'm doing?

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@brian23 wrote:

Is the extender I mentioned the best one for what I'm doing?

If that is what you call the "Netgear nighthawk AC1900", that is not a router model number as much as a wifi speed indicator.

And "best one" is a subjective thing.

Is the plan to plug the Arlo hub into the wired LAN on the new router?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@brian23 wrote:
Place a Netgear nighthawk AC1900 smart router where I want to extend the range (assume this one does not require purchasing another hub)

If the cameras aren't in range of a single base station, then you need more than one.  You can continue to use one you already have for some of the Pro 2 cameras.

I'm not sure what the Nighthawk router has to do with this upgrade.  You do need ethernet at each base station location.  You can get that with an extender (not a router), but if the connection between the router and the extender drops for any reason you'll lose alerts/recordings.  The most robust approach is to run cat-5e or better cabling from the base station locations to your existing router.  If that's not practical, then perhaps consider using powerline networking.  If you do need to bridge the gap with WiFi, then I'd go with an Orbi system instead of an extender.  

brian23
Aspirant
Aspirant

got it, thanks!

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation