Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Ultra VMC5040 still are not stable, constantly offline (using Orbi system)

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
JimiW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ok,

so im still have continual issues with these cameras, I have 9 (ultra, pro 3 and pro 2) and its becoming a joke. They are so unreliable. Let me give you a insight to my home set up because it is quite complicated but ill keep it brief.

Software/firmware versions at bottom:

I am really hoping someone has some idea of how I can fix this nightmare, the Arlo stations keep seeming to jump their 2.5ghz channel to the same as my Orbi station, no idea why, I've now changed the Orbi to Auto in the hope that it moves itself out of the way as needed although I would prefer to keep the Orbi at 1 and the Arlo at 6 because of my neighbourhood. It is on 8 now by itself and the Orbi has stayed on one. The Orbi has no choice for auto 5ghz so the Arlo has followed that from 36 to 48 but I don't think this would be as big a problem.

I have 1 Orbi Router RBR50 I think and 3 satellites (1x RBS50, 2x RBS20) spread about my house/back shed, ALL hardwired with ethernet.

I have two Arlo base stations, one VMB5000 and one VMB5040. The VMB5040 runs 3 cameras (2x ultra, 1x pro 3) and the VMB5000 runs 5 (4x ultra, 2x Pro 2) They are this way because of locations and there is no other stable way to do it without adding another base station. I do have the Pro 2 base station somewhere in case anyone thinks taking the load off may help.

None of the orbi satellites are near the Arlo base stations, at least 6m away, I did have that issue a few years ago and moved them.

The kicker is, I have A TON of devices in my house on wifi, I have around 100 DHCP reservations, various smart lights etc however I have replaced my LIFX direct wifi bulbs (POS) with Philips Hue to bridges. I just have a lot of internet connected devices even if I don't actively use them for online stuff they are connected, the majority with ethernet where available and obviously things like phones and other wireless devices I have no choice. However, providing the orbi and the arlo stuck to channels well apart, in theory this shouldn't be a problem.

The Arlo cameras disconnect consistently all day just the black screen saying Offline, and sometimes they will all come back, sometimes some will and I'll restart the base station and they will come back....until the next time.

I've messed around with all the Orbi settings I can with my half decent knowledge of routers and wifi (im not a professional) and I am now completely stuck. I use all iOS devices however it still happens when I am connected via a web browser.

Does anyone have any amazing ideas of how I can make this huge pile of money I have sunk into these cameras actually work for more than 10 minutes? Not to mention I upgraded to the 4K plan so now this big pile of money down the drain is growing.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

VERSIONS:

VMB5000r4 - 1.17.0.0_1117_6ba79e5 (latest)

VMB4540r2 - 1.17.0.0_1053_6ba79e5 (latest)

ORBI - V2.7.3.22

All cameras have latest available

Side note, the Home app seems to have better stability than the Arlo app HOWEVER, the Home Cam app which used to be even better than the native Home app just due to refreshes is now completely useless with half the cameras not even connecting. But tonight using the home app (I mainly use the arlo app its more user friendly than the Home app and is "live" rather than refreshing every 2-10 seconds) it was just utter trash.

The Homecam app gives me a lot of "client request errors"

3 REPLIES 3
Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There's no way to change WiFi channels on Arlo and ultimately base stations will adjust the channel to the same one of the router taht they're connected to. 

Some routers, like Fritz!box, will proactively keep on changing channels as soon as within any 24 hour period they've become aware of Arlo being on the same channel, but ultimately, Arlo will follow. (Kind of digital hide and seek, you know.)

There have been many requests to Arlo to enable channel changes/switching off 2.4Ghz/5Ghz WiFi, but all have been ignored. As users, we've reminded Arlo that we'd like to be in control of our networks, rather than being forced to do what they think is best for us. 

Some regulars on here will defend Arlo's decision and will say all's working well. I had lots of problems with interference from Arlo, but have managed to address it to an extent. Some routers deal with the issue better than others. 

JimiW
Apprentice
Apprentice

hi,

thanks for that. Thats an odd design for them to follow the routers channel as it is well known that interference is caused by the base stations being too close to routers or satellites and of course two seperate networks on the same channel will interfere with each other. Thats basic wifi knowledge.

I was hoping for any other ideas about increasing stability because this is just trash, it does not "work fine", and never has. you can't rely on these things to work properly ive had arlo for 4-5 years and for the cost they just do not work properly. regardless if they are a 'domestic' product, that doesn't mean they shouldn't function as they are meant to.

JimiW
Apprentice
Apprentice

ok can I add to this before I make a new post, I just got an iPad mini 4 to monitor cameras, running iOS 15.2.1 which is the current as my iPhone 11 Pro max was more stable than the iPad mini 2 which I put down to software versions being outdated.

I did move one of my base stations and things are *slightly* better.

This is a semi new issue as I just got the mini 4.

anyway, this thing works for about 2 minutes then the WHOLE system shows as cameras offline and it doesn't come back online until I close the Arlo app and reopen, and then it happens again. but its fine on my phone (with the pre mentioned issues still happening). any ideas AT ALL? ive now eliminated it being software as its all current and it just doesn't make sense, especially when its better on my phone. I mean you can't tell me the iPad mini 4 hardware is too outdated to run this software, I know its on the older end but it runs the current version and runs it fine *when it works for 2 mins*

I have two logins, my main one and a spare one with now full admin and it happens on both logins.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation