Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
dj3w3ll1
Apprentice
Apprentice
@JamesC

Is Arlo planning on releasing skins for the Arlo Ultra, or do the current skins fit the Ultra?

Thanks,

D
17 REPLIES 17
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

The cameras are quite different requiring a different size skin with different openings for battery swapping and charging cables.  If they offer skins they will be different.  The current skins won’t fit Ultra.

I don’t see new skins on the accessory list, but I would think they may offer them at some point for camouflage.

Accessories 

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/images/Documents/ArloUltra/Arlo_Ultra_Accessory_DS_09Nov18.pdf

D1132
Tutor
Tutor

Protective Silicone Skin with Sunroof Compatible with Arlo Ultra

Coming soon in Italy (I hope).

Ciao,

D1132

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Amazon has arlo ultra skins, 18.99 for a 3 pack and prime

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

I should have added with a hood for $1 more but those with the hood are currently only in black instead of 6 colors to choose from.  Waiting will most likely get a choice as all 6 are mentioned.

ilco13
Guide
Guide

Hello,

Do you have the link or the product exact name ? I cannot find them on Amazon...

thanks !!

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero
@ilco13 wrote:

Hello,

Do you have the link or the product exact name ? I cannot find them on Amazon...

thanks !!

I looked for these after reading about them here...just out of curiosity, since I don’t have any Ultra cameras at this point.  I found them here...

Does anyone have experience with these when using night vision?    These cameras with very wide viewing angles tend to be very susceptible to IR light scatter which fogs night vision.  That is what made the original Pro skins sable on the Pro 2.

ilco13
Guide
Guide

well thank you 😉 the little cap against sun is nice.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Just received my from Amazon a few min. ago, they really look good and even come with a cover for the magnetic mount.  I'll try to pay attention tonight to see if I can answer how they do with the 180.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Well got them on and back up, Wasserstein did a great job with the fit it was perfect.  I can tell you it has no effect on the 180 degrees, it's the same as always.  The sun went away before I got them done and the rain came so can't say if the hood helped for glare but it appears to help in the rain.   Now wait for night to see if there is any change.  If I'm lucky maybe some of the floaters go away.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

And so got to watch live tonight for awhile and there is a halo on the outside edge I assume is because of the hood because it was never there before.  It completely goes away if I click the flashlight to turn the light on.  On another note the floaters or comets or what looks like streaks were gone from the 2 cameras that had that issue.  Overall I'm happy with them but if the halo is an issue for you, you're probably better off with the ones without a hood.

ismarslomic
Aspirant
Aspirant

@LandJS : which Ultra skins did you purchase from Amazon? This one: Silicone Case for Arlo Ultra 4K HD & Mount (Black 2 pcs)?

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

No, Sully skins weren't there at the time. The ones I purchased were Wasserstein with the hood, 3 pack for $18.99.  Wasserstein has them in both hooded and non hooded like the Sully in your pic.  The only thing I noticed with the hood is that there is a slight halo on the outer edge at night unless my outdoor lights are triggered.  This is fine with me as long as a hood helps block sun and rain.  One other note on skins is there is a little less magnetic strength (my opinion) but I have replaced all but one magnetic mount anyway because I don;t trust them in a wind storm at that price,

ismarslomic
Aspirant
Aspirant

But do you really need hooded skin? I can understand it can be useful at sunny days, but other than that I dont see the need for it. Camera is anyway waterproof. Im also thinking on mounting cameras on outdoor wall mount, and not using magnetic wall mount, because of the wind and snow at winter time (living in Norway). Have you tried the magnetic charger cable for outdoor? Im thinking on connecting both cameras to wire, in order to have live streaming.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

No, the hood is an individual decision based on personal use and area of use.  Everyones situation will be different.  These come both with or without the hood and in 6 colors, with only $1 difference in price.  The Sully's in your picture looks pretty much the same thing looks wise.  People use them for color matching to location, some use camoflage skins in trees.  I think they might help some in colder areas since temperature can have an effect but that would be opinion on my part.  I haven't been able to get the 25ft outdoor cable anywhere yet but did order a third party one on Amazon today that looks identicle but costs half as much.  Will try that one to be sure it's good and if it is then will buy one for all six of mine.  I normally get good battery life except windy days when they constantly record motion and the battery drops fast.  Want to be able to plug them in when RVing and not available to charge them.

ismarslomic
Aspirant
Aspirant

Based on information from Amazon, the original outdoor charger cable will be released in June. Can you please share the link to the third party cable you have purchased? Would be very useful if you could share experiences with this one, when you get it!

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@LandJS wrote:

No, the hood is an individual decision based on personal use and area of use.  Everyones situation will be different.  These come both with or without the hood and in 6 colors, with only $1 difference in price.  The Sully's in your picture looks pretty much the same thing looks wise.  People use them for color matching to location, some use camoflage skins in trees.  I think they might help some in colder areas since temperature can have an effect but that would be opinion on my part.  I haven't been able to get the 25ft outdoor cable anywhere yet but did order a third party one on Amazon today that looks identicle but costs half as much.  Will try that one to be sure it's good and if it is then will buy one for all six of mine.  I normally get good battery life except windy days when they constantly record motion and the battery drops fast.  Want to be able to plug them in when RVing and not available to charge them.

I can confirm the silicone skins will raise the camera temperature when the camera is in direct sunlight.  This can be very helpful in the winter in locations that experience very cold weather.  My solar powered Arlo cameras are able to charge many more days than would be possible without the black skins installed.  I would not recommend them in hot climates.  Full sun in the summer in Phoenix, might not be a good thing.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

I just go to Amazon and type in Arlo Ultra outdoor cable and it's listed there.  It's by Pavora and in stock on the 18th for $22 dollars.  Get mine on the 22nd and then I'll see how it works.  There were a couple others shown but they appeared different and not quiet what I wanted.  The Pavora appears the same as what's being released and thought for $22 it was worth a try.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation