Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Ultra Pricing, 135 dollars more than Arlo Pro 2????

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
pjsisk01
Star
Star

So it looks like the Arlo Ultra 2-pack with base is $135.00 USD more than the Arlo Pro 2 2-pack with base I assume it replaces, is that right??? And an addon camera is $299 USD (Pro 2 addon is $169 USD). You are pricing yourself out of the game. It's a shame a company feels they can charge more because of their place in sales and expect to stay there. There are way too many alternatives out there today for this pricing to be justified. Unfortunate, I love the Pro 2 but wouldnt ever think about the Ultra's.

8 REPLIES 8
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The current lineup of Arlo products offers flexibility based on your specific needs. Arlo Ultra will provide 4K coverage where you need it most, supplementing your existing Arlo camera setup.

For more information on the new features Arlo Ultra offers, take a look here: What is new in the Arlo Ultra camera?

JamesC

castro1688
Star
Star

Worse part is they are now forcing you have a subscription to their lowsy premium features that had little traction. I guess forcing people to take the software subscription is the only way it works. I'm done with Arlo. 

pjsisk01
Star
Star

When you say “supplementing your existing Arlo setup”, does that mean it is compatible with the existing base and I could simply (yet costly) add an Arlo Ultra camera to it?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The SmartHub enables 4k, Auto Track and Zooming, local live streaming, as well as a simplified onboarding experience for Arlo Ultra. Further, all users who purchase Arlo Ultra kits get 1 year of Arlo Smart included, for up to 10 cameras on their account, for all camera models. What we recommend for existing users who upgrade to an Ultra kit, is to swap out their existing basestations to the Arlo SmartHub, which allows them to take advantage of all of the benefits of Ultra, as well as all of the benefits of Arlo Smart. Finally, all current generations of camera products are forwards compatible with the Ultra SmartHub, so existing users can pair their existing cameras to the new SmartHub.

In the meantime, Arlo is working on introducing full backwards compatibility to be released at a future update.

spykid
Star
Star

I beg to differ.  It does not suplement the existing Arlo 2 cameras because it requires purchasing a new hub to work with the 4K cameras.

pjsisk01
Star
Star

If 4k, local streaming and pan and zoom features cannot be done with a firmware upgrade to the Arlo Pro 2 hub then you screwed up. First off, 4k streaming isnt going to happen reliably and most folks do not need it, pan and zoom should be features of the camera, nothing other than firmware at the hub will do this. This is really causing me to think I am selling my entire kit and going with a more reliable company, if any exist these days. What a shame.

BTW, yes, I am an engineer.

I can get 5 blink cams and save 100 bucks and not worry about batteries for 2 years and gives me everything i need in a security cam. For the 100 bucks saved I;ll get a coupel of solar motion LED lights to light up the whole house.

C'mon Arlo, be better! Help us protect our sizeable investments.

KGSRETIRED
Apprentice
Apprentice
The price is steep but I thought for the features it was worth it. Now if it would work correctly it would help. Also if you already have a subscription you completely have to start a whole new account to get the free year. You would think their billing department could just add it on after your current subscription runs out. It isn't rocket science.
Bigjames83
Apprentice
Apprentice
My plan is to use one ultra for my front and some arlo pro2 for the rest of the house.
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation