Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
53Crusher
Apprentice
Apprentice

New Arlo user who recently purchased the four camera Arlo Ultra System. In general, I am pleased so far, but still testing it's abilities and setting it up for my house.

I was initially extremely dissapointed that my $1000 purchase only had two of the magnetic mounts and the other two were much cheaper screw on types. Fortunately for me, it did have the screw on types as the magnetic ones are junk design in my opinion. One MAJOR improvement suggestion is related to the magnetic mounts for the Ultra. If a person is going to mount a $300 camera outside in the wind you have to use a much better screw. The magnetic mounts come with ONE #4 x 1" screw to hold the camera. The unique plastic spacer design prevents anybody using a larger screw and it only allows roughly 3/4" of the screw to go into the plastic anchor. Additionally, the spacer prohibits the magnetic mount from being stable. There is just too much room still when you slide it over the screw and spacer. Mount wobbles on the wall, which is a bad thing for a motion sensing device. The magnet is very strong, but I believe either the wind or a user removing the camera to charge the battery will ultimately find their camera in pieces on the ground when the tiny screw comes out.2019-01-26 10.54.02.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

I don't know how you are supposed to do it, but I just screwed a desk screw (with a flared head) into a wood pillar, left the head out a bit, and slid the magnetic mount down on top of the screw.  No issues.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

I don't know how you are supposed to do it, but I just screwed a desk screw (with a flared head) into a wood pillar, left the head out a bit, and slid the magnetic mount down on top of the screw.  No issues.

53Crusher
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks, good to know!

I was simply following their installation instructions. The slot is square to match the tiny plastic spacer. Will see if I can find a better screw that will fit in the square slot, lock when the mount is slid over it, and do a much better job of keeping the magnet mounted to the wall so the camera isn't damaged.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

I never even looked at the hardware that came with the mount, nor read any instructions, until just now. Seems to be working OK so far with a standard deck screw, and you get get them in various lengths.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

There is at least one other discussion about the new mounts:

Arlo Ultra New Outdoor Mount - Purchasing Extra Mo... - Arlo Communities

Opinions clearly differ.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation