Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
moyda23
Tutor
Tutor
I have two Arlo ultra camera. For some reason one of them the blue LED keeps flashing. It flashes for 6-7 times then is off a few seconds then repeats. I have changed the battery, the charger cord. I even swapped cameras. It seems to be location based. Since both cameras do it but only in the one spot. Any thoughts?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mjbeuke wrote:

Perhaps some sort of inference if it’s only happening on the one location inside - and every combination of camera/charging cables do it.

I'm thinking that too. 

It could be electrical noise coming in through the power circuit.  Though any cable can also act as an antenna, so maybe that is somehow affecting the wifi.  (Or something else altogether 🤔 )

Anyway, that was why I was thinking it might be good to try a different outlet but not changing the location.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@moyda23 wrote:
I have two Arlo ultra camera. For some reason one of them the blue LED keeps flashing. It flashes for 6-7 times then is off a few seconds then repeats. I have changed the battery, the charger cord. I even swapped cameras. It seems to be location based. Since both cameras do it but only in the one spot. Any thoughts?

The LED is flashing because the camera is reconnecting to the base station.  So the cause is that the camera doesn't have a solid WiFi connection to the base.

If the base is very close to the router, then you might try moving it a bit further away (as far as the ethernet will reach).  That would eliminate the chance of WiFi interference.  

How far is the camera from the base?  Is it practical to move the base station closer to it?

moyda23
Tutor
Tutor
I moved the base to within 10 ft of the camera. It is next to the router. I’ll try moving them apart. The app shows a full WiFi signal connection though.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@moyda23 wrote:
I moved the base to within 10 ft of the camera. It is next to the router. I’ll try moving them apart. The app shows a full WiFi signal connection though.

WiFi interference wouldn't affect signal strength, but it could cause dropped connections.

moyda23
Tutor
Tutor
I moved the base around no change. The interference seems to come from the power connection since it stops when I unplug it. I tried multiple plugs and two different cords with the same problem. Why would I have interference on one camera and not the other if they are both plugged in to the same house.
moyda23
Tutor
Tutor
Also why does the ultra camera have interference and not the Pro 2 that use to be in the same spot.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@moyda23 wrote:
I moved the base around no change. The interference seems to come from the power connection since it stops when I unplug it. I tried multiple plugs and two different cords with the same problem. Why would I have interference on one camera and not the other if they are both plugged in to the same house.

I was assuming that your camera wasn't plugged in.

The camera charger shouldn't be creating WiFi interference.  The camera LED will be blue if the camera is connected to power and is fully charged. 

• Are you seeing any evidence of a poor connection with the Ultra (for instance off line camera)?
  • Does the blue light turn off (and stay off) if you turn off the Camera LED in the app or web client?
Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
@moyda23

I had this same issue when I first installed my ultras that are wired for constant power.

I came to find out it was a finicky connection between the bottom of the arlo camera and the magnetic charger cable. It was almost like the 3 little diodes on the bottom of the camera were not all 3 making good contact with the 3 nipples on the magnetic charging cable, because once I pressed on and held the cable in place the camera charger fault light stopped blinking. Same intermittent 5 seconds of blue light flashing constantly you had - and when the camera is doing that if you go into the camera settings in the app you’ll notice the charging indicator is flashing on and off in the app.

I was able to lightly “twist” the magnetic end and lightly press it up into the camera and they have all held good contact since. I figured if that wasn’t the case I could use a small price of clear tape and tape the charger end over the bottom Of the camera if the connection wouldn’t stay put on it’s own.

Try it out and see if pressing it up into the camera solves it - and if so that’s probably your issue as it was mine. Worst case tape it or use something to affix it in place
moyda23
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, I am seeing evidence of poor connection, the camera is occasionally offline while everything else is still working. This only occurs when connected to power. same as the light flashing. The LED is set to off when fully charged. It only flashes and the battery never indicated 100% charged only goes to 99% which is why I thought it was charging issue at first. Again this is happen inside the house only. I have one camera outside and one inside. I even switched the cameras. It is location based when connected to power. Both cameras behave the same way when inside the house and connected to power. It occurs with all three batteries and with three different charging cables, but again only inside the house.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@moyda23 wrote:

Yes, I am seeing evidence of poor connection, the camera is occasionally offline while everything else is still working. This only occurs when connected to power. same as the light flashing. ...  It is location based when connected to power. 

Not something I'd see, since none of my ultras are connected to power (though one does use a solar panel).

What's odd is that it isn't happening on battery when at the same location.  Can you try using a different power outlet (perhaps via an extension cord) as a test?

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hmmm that’s a stumper. If the battery level is at 99% that’s the same thing mine was doing until I noticed the poor contact between the charging cable and the camera.

Perhaps some sort of inference if it’s only happening on the one location inside - and every combination of camera/charging cables do it.

Are you using Arlo branded charging cables?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mjbeuke wrote:

I'm thinking that too. 

It could be electrical noise coming in through the power circuit.  Though any cable can also act as an antenna, so maybe that is somehow affecting the wifi.  (Or something else altogether 🤔 )

Anyway, that was why I was thinking it might be good to try a different outlet but not changing the location.

moyda23
Tutor
Tutor
I guess it is noise or interference in the electrical circuit. I moved the plug using an extension cord to a different outlet on a different breaker. And now the problem is resolved. Thanks for all the help.
Securefam
Aspirant
Aspirant

First post...

Had the same issues, camera going offline, battery drainage, fast blinking blue light every few seconds...FIXED

Only happens when the camera is on wall power.

Replaced Camera, Cable and USB Charger

Made sure that Base and Router are at a good distance.

Used the Web Client to add the camera.

All of the above helped but it would still blink every minute or so.

What fixed it was the USB Charger, used the original Arlo charger that came with the kit.

Was using knock offs power chargers, seems that they are susceptible to electrical noise.

The moral of the story is...you get what you pay for!

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation