Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Ultra 2 stopped focusing

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
md337
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi everyone

I've got a few Ultra cameras and a few weeks ago temperature dropped in London suburbs to -8C for first time since I had them. This caused them not to charge via solar, which is normal - and I had to take the cameras back inside to charge them at some point. When i did that, temperatures were already back to positive range.

What I noticed is that after taking them in and charged they stopped focusing the image - it's now blurry regardless of subject being far or near. I am reading normal operating temperature is up to -20C, so I not sure how the cold affected them - but they never got back to normal. I tried restart, remove the battery, checking for any damage or condensation - all normal. I think the focusing mechanism is physically damaged or stuck on closest setting. Cameras still work in terms of detecting, recording and streaming - but all images are blurry.

Did anyone experience anything similar? I also opened a support ticket, but that progresses slow. 

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

These cameras have no focusing capability - they're simply very wide angle lenses which, along with the aperture size, "focuses" on everything from a foot or so to infinity. Lack of "focus" implies that something is on the lens and/or sensor or that the lens or sensor has moved somehow (like being dropped).

My guess would be condensation  but you can open the camera up to let it dry out for a day or two or return it to the outdoors where the moisture could disappear. Remember that moving something between relatively cold temps to warm, perhaps moist, locations causes condensation. It's actually recommended for outdoor photographers to use zip-lick bags or other protection until the camera has adjusted to the new temp to prevent this.

md337
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you! I always assumed they have some sort of focus as I can hear some clicks when they start recording but your explanation make sense, to keep the camera simple as possible. There is no visible condensation on the outside or the inside and cameras weren't dropped - do you think there is any way the lenses moved slightly due to the sudden temperature increase of about 25* C (outdoor to indoor)?

Secondly - should there be a possibility of internal condensation? I would have thought the camera sensor/internal lenses are sealed to prevent dust and humidity build up. 

I've got 2 cameras with the same issue, surfacing the same time (after being brought in from cold outside).

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I doubt the lens or sensor moved but anything is possible. My guess is internal condensation - have you opened them up and used the same procedure as you would drying a phone that had been dropped in water?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@md337 wrote:

do you think there is any way the lenses moved slightly due to the sudden temperature increase of about 25* C (outdoor to indoor)?

I don't think so, though that is a big increase.  It could have moved if you'd dropped the camera.

GSKnight
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, did you recently update the cameras. Two of mine did the same thing when updating firmware. And, Arlo just blames something else...

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation