Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
KenC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi all,

I updated to the Arlo Ultra SmartHub (VMB5000r4) w/ 1.12.0.8_31002 and connected to both my older Arlo Pro 2 Cameras and the new Arlo Ultra.  I am having issues with the clarity on the night vision with the Arlo Pro 2 Cameras, but the new Arlo Ultra looks good.  When I turn off the night vision setting, the clarity is very good.  I did not have these night vision clarity issues when using the older Arlo Pro Hub (VMB4000).  Arlo Pro 2 FW 1.125.11.4_29092 and were updated with the new SmartHub.  Appreciate any help on this.  

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

Can't see your images until they are approved, but the hub should have no effect on the night vision.  All the hub does is receive digital data. Cloudy night vision is caused by IR light reflecting back into the Pro 2 lens.  Did you maybe move the cameras at all, place any objects near the Pro 2 cameras that could be reflecting light back into the lens, or aim the new cameras so their IR light might shine into the old camera's lens?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
KenC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Forgot to attach some photos for comparison.

Night vision on which is very "cloudy" and the night vision off.  Again didn't have this issue with the old hub.Screenshot_20190228-185740_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20190228-185757_Video Player.jpg

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

Can't see your images until they are approved, but the hub should have no effect on the night vision.  All the hub does is receive digital data. Cloudy night vision is caused by IR light reflecting back into the Pro 2 lens.  Did you maybe move the cameras at all, place any objects near the Pro 2 cameras that could be reflecting light back into the lens, or aim the new cameras so their IR light might shine into the old camera's lens?

KenC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you @st_shaw your feedback helped me and I was able to resolve the issue.  I believe when I purchased the Arlo Ultra setup there was also a Camera FW Upgrade that was implemented and that must have turned up the camera light sensitivity.  My cameras also had a skin and the skin lip must have been reflecting light back against the camera.  Both prior and post Arlo Ultra purchase, my Arlo Pro 2 configurations were the same, the positioning was the same, and the skins were the same.  

Anyhow, I removed the skins and the clarity of the night vision of the Arlo Pro 2 Cameras with the Arlo Ultra SmartHub is now good.  

Thanks again for the help.  You guys are a great help to this community and I very much appreciate it.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

You're welcome.  Good to hear you resolved the issue! Yes, there was a firmware update to increase the Pro 2 low-light performance early on, and yes the skins were causing problems with reflected IR and cloudy images.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation