Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Arndoid App inconsistent with notifications

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
pjama
Luminary
Luminary

I updated to the new v2.8 android app as soon as it came out then 2.8.1 when that came out as well.

The first thing I noticed was the library refresh is sub optimal. I've often found the swipe down doesn't refresh the list of videos and had to change the date from current to a previous then back again to get a refresh of really recent videos. That seems to be required more often now. Also the previous version would refresh the list when you first opened it, now it doesn't and you have to do the swipe down and often the change date then back to get a full refresh.

The other, perhaps more concerning issue is that notifications are definitely inconsistent. I'm reasonably confident that with the legacy app I got a notifications for every library video that was meant to notify (ie smart set to not alert on animals) but with 2.8 and 2.8.1 this definitely is not the case. 2.8.1 *seems better than 2.8 though. THIS coupled with my other major problem erodes my confidence just a little bit more.

10 REPLIES 10
Kammfam
Luminary
Luminary

Yep, same issues here. It seems like I will get a notification if *I* walk by my camera (with phone in pocket), but if anyone else goes by the camera... nothing. And sometimes even if I log on to the web portal from my computer, it will say I have zero new videos. But if I go into the Video Library, there are new videos.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

interesting seeing this now because I just spent a full hour reading reviews on google play store.  About 60% 1 star,another 25% 2 star and the only comment from Arlo "sorry you are having issues, please call"  Think we have all tried that.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kammfam wrote:

It seems like I will get a notification if *I* walk by my camera (with phone in pocket), but if anyone else goes by the camera... nothing. 

I don't see how that can be related to the new app.  There's no direct communication between the phone and the camera.  It might be linked to camera firmware changes made last month.

Try running the motion detection test for the camera, and see if the settings need to be tweaked.

Kammfam
Luminary
Luminary

Try running the motion detection test for the camera, and see if the settings need to be tweaked.

What is the motion detection test?? I don't see anything like that in my settings.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kammfam wrote:

What is the motion detection test?? I don't see anything like that in my settings.

Go into the camera settings, and look in "device utilities"

https://kb.arlo.com/1114344/How-do-I-use-the-motion-detection-test-for-my-Arlo-device

Kammfam
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks, I found it. But now I'm really confused. When I went into the motion test screen, it has my motion sensitivity set to 80 for this camera. But when I go into my Mode and then Motion Settings, it's at 92, which is where I set it. I checked my other cameras, and they are all the same- 80 in the motion test screen, but other numbers in the motion settings screen. Where are we actually supposed to be changing motion sensitivity?????

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kammfam wrote:

Thanks, I found it. But now I'm really confused. When I went into the motion test screen, it has my motion sensitivity set to 80 for this camera. But when I go into my Mode and then Motion Settings, it's at 92, which is where I set it. I checked my other cameras, and they are all the same- 80 in the motion test screen, but other numbers in the motion settings screen. Where are we actually supposed to be changing motion sensitivity?????

As the KB article says, the settings on the motion test screen are for ... testing 😲

After you use that to figure out what you want them to be, you need to set them for real in the rules used by the modes.

FWIW, it would be nice if there were a way to apply the settings directly from the test screen.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

pjama, how are your notifications now ?  Mine came to a complete stop the evening of the first day after working perfect all day with the new app but have now worked great for a full 2 days.

pjama
Luminary
Luminary

@LandJS Notifications are still hit and miss. When I looked this morning there were no notifications. When I opened the app, there were no videos either until I did the swipe down on the library which did a refresh of the library list and moved the view to today and showed one video that *should* have sent a notification. It was like the app had no clue there was a new notifiable video until I opened and refreshed it.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

pjama ,  after downloading the new app I found it had not maintained some settings.  Have you checked under special access to be sure battery optimization is still off for the Arlo app and under permissions to be sure contacts, location, microphone and phone are still allowed.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation