Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
dt1785
Guide
Guide

I'm currently a Nest customer and have all Nest products, but after all the issues I've had with their new Nest Outdoor IQ camera, I am no longer purchasing anything else from them. I have been reading on the community about issues with the new Ultra cameras, but it seems Arlo is working to correct the issue(s) with multiple updates (something Nest does very slowly and doesn't admit to upfront). 

I was looking at purchasing one Ultra camera with the base. Can I add another model of camera (such as the Pro 2) to the Ultra base setup? I'm sure I can, but I wanted to verify.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ItsPlayTime
Apprentice
Apprentice
6 REPLIES 6
ItsPlayTime
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes, you can.
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@ItsPlayTime wrote:
Yes, you can.

Very true.

But to help to complete the decision, look at the relative cost of the Pro 2 cameras with and without their own hub. If the saving is small, then it might be worth having the Pro 2 hub.You don't have to use it.

Why? Because it has a built-in alarm. In the Ultra system, the alarm is a part of the camera. There have been complaints that it is not loud enough.

I haven't tried this, but you should be able to add a Pro hub and an Ultra hub to the same account.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
ItsPlayTime
Apprentice
Apprentice
You can have both the Pro Hub & Ultra Hub on your account at the same time. I have both on my account right now. 4 Arlo Pros connecting to the Pro Hub & 4 Arlo Ultras connecting to the Ultra Hub.
BZ542
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the pro2 hub and cameras, if I wanted to get a 4k camera could I just use the same hub? Or do I have to get the new 4k hub?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Assuming you can actually buy Ultra cameras or systems right now, you have to use the Ultra base to use the Ultra cameras. The base is compatible with older cameras but the older bases don't have the firmware yet to recognize Ultra cameras. It's been promised for down the road.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@jguerdat wrote:

The base is compatible with older cameras but the older bases don't have the firmware yet to recognize Ultra cameras.

Even if the new cameras do, as promised, become compatible with older hubs, there is no guarantee that this will offer the same features, with the video resolution for example.

Compare the costs of, say, two cameras with and without a hub. How much would you save? Given the price of these things, not much percentagewise.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation