Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
justyg
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased an Arlo Ultra 4K UHD Wireless Security Camera Kit (5-pack) on 10/31/2019 and have not been able to setup the 1-year free Arlo Smart subscription. This is a new kit.

Phone support was not sure how to proceed. 

I setup the base/cameras on an account that has never had a subscription. Any help would be appreciated. 

Here's the support case: 

Case Number: 41249810
Subject: Inquiry about free subscription in ultra
Created Date: 11/6/2019
Description: issue - Inquiry about free subscription in ultra camera

Informed the customer that we not trained in this product

But tired to inform the details about ultra camera free smart subscription through community web site

But customer asked for clear explanation

call has been transferred to concern team

Please refer to your case number in any correspondence with Arlo Support.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS AUTOMATED EMAIL.

Thanks,
Arlo Support

46 REPLIES 46
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

synacker,

I've escalated your open support ticket on this issue. An agent will reach out to you with an update as soon as possible.

JamesC

UArlo
Tutor
Tutor

I too have an open case (two actually, one opened the day after I installed my new hub and 5 cameras and another 3 business days later after the first received no response). In searching for answers since support has not been proactively reaching out to me to help solve, I came across this thread and another which mentioned removing the cameras and hub from the account, removing any subscriptions (don't see how to) and re-adding. I'm now on my 4th+ attempt at re-adding the hub and cameras since yesterday and still no subscription. The real kicker is that in the process of removing and re-adding, I seem to now have permanently lost HomeKit integration for this hub. Now I'm removing and adding back just to get HomeKit back. This is such a disaster of an implementation that 1, you can't easily get what you paid for (1yr Smart Premier subscription that's included with the purchase), and 2 support for HomeKit.

I've got two support tickets that are about a week old and no closer to solving the included Smart Premier plan. I would like that resolved to make it in addition to getting HomeKit back. I am close to taking these back and getting another 5 pack and giving it one more try with a new kit from scratch as this one has gotten progressively harder to re-setup. Plus it seems even with actual removal from the account, Arlo's cloud keeps "memory" of the device. Everytime I add a camera back it shows me a thumbnail of an image it had last captured before it was removed. It seems evident removing/resetting isn't doing exactly what it should be.

Artumis111
Tutor
Tutor
James,

Not embedding the ability for a current Arlo possessor is a poor idea. I too purchased this from Costco to replace a pro 2 system with issues.

The part that infuriates me is that Arlo support tells me I must cancel my new arlo doorbell video 3 month subscription and then pay for the subscription as a “work around”. I will then be credited for the charge on a monthly basis for a year. There is zero way someone within Arlo thinks that’s a valid resolution to this issue. I’m not going to accept being billed and then retroactively credited for a year. How is this going to be corrected, especially since this seems to be a recurring issue?
Artumis111
Tutor
Tutor
James/and or other Arlo support staff:

After two days of tech support, their two tech support, and a tier two tech support manager, the “best advisable solution” is one of two options: subscribe to arlo smart premier, be billed and trust that I will be refunded for “remaining” 11 months (since the non-existent 1 month free trial that should be selectable, but isn’t an option, is pro-bono) or return this system to Costco

I get that they have support scripts that are provided to them. I get that they handle the majority of non-issue issues; but, what I don’t understand is how these folks are not empowered with actual solutions. There is not a way to resolve this issue other than billing and refunding or returning this item? Really? How does a tech support individual have the ability to issue a refund for a billed product but doesn’t have the authority or ability to enable what should be included out of the box?

The guidance on this is atrocious, at best. It makes me want to return my new Arlo Video Doorbell and the Arlo Ultra system and look into another platform.

Judging by the other posts in this thread and some of the feedback on
Costco’s website, this might be an issue behind which someone with the authority should invest more resources into resolving quickly.
jbimmerle
Guide
Guide

Same issue for me. Recently purchased the kit from Costco. Added the SmartHub to my existing account (had some Arlo lights but no previous cameras) - and can only see the one month free option. Also had no active subscription at all. Any help would be appreciated as the guidance provided to date doesn't seem to be valid (i.e., it auto-registers the plan after you add the smart hub).

synacker
Initiate
Initiate

Yea, I too, do not trust the "process" of being refunded every month. This sounds to me, more than anything else, a way for Arlo to show subscription numbers to whoever they have to report to. Otherwise, this could be easily resolved by them creating promo codes that grant the same 1 year plan.

I also called Costco to maybe have them contact someone within Arlo and they unfortunately told me that there was nothing they could do but hope they properly refund me. I plan on being as vocal as possible about this, as it is 100% misleading and only concerns me as to how the rest of the company is ran

jbimmerle
Guide
Guide
Spoke to two support reps via chat yesterday. First one suggested I reset my SmartHub and then add it back to trigger the subscription being added. This did not work.

The second rep said that I should just upgrade to the Smart plan and that after the first free month the free year would kick in once the ticket was escalated. I was highly skeptical this would actually happen so I requested that my existing ticket be escalated and a resolution be provided before I sign up.

Seems odd that this promotion is advertised but Arlo provides no way to claim it and then says it should auto-magically appear. Hey Arlo Support - it obviously is not working. Either pull the promotion or get it working. How about you just give us all a promo code once we verify our purchase with you? There is a spot to enter a promo code (which should have been included to begin with to avoid this nonsense) when signing up for your plans. How about we use that instead of everyone having to escalate tickets to support?!!!!
mmuy888
Guide
Guide

I have an existing Arlo system and it has the 1yr free subscription it will expire july 2020. so I bought a new 2 ultra camera system with base station, this time the 1 yr subscription did not kick in. should I return it and get another one or just call customer service? or maybe you can help me. I hate calling the customer service tech because they will just give you the run a round.

Ammtraxxx
Initiate
Initiate

James/Arlo, 

Would strongly suggest you take notice of the rampant issue on this thread as it is widespread and totally unacceptable. Unfathomable may be the more appropriate adjective. Having customers purchase a $1,000+ system under the guise that they will be receiving a free one-year subscription - only to then tell the customer that they must pay for the subscription and be reimbursed - essentially amounts to a bait and switch tactic. Not only is this unethical for a publicly traded company, but also illegal. This is false advertising under the Lanham Act. Based on the dates customers have posted on this thread and no resolution has been set forth by Arlo/Netgear, it is clearly time the FTC be contacted. Did not want to have to resort to this, but it seems an intervenor may be necessary for Arlo to resolve this matter. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue has been escalated to the development team. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information available.

JamesC

jbimmerle
Guide
Guide

So received an update to my case this morning. I was told that the case has been escalated to engineering to be "fixed". The only workaround would be to start with the one-month free and then roll into the paid plan. It would then be escalated again to apply credits to my account for the cost of the paid subscription. A few issues with this (@JamesC I hope you're reading this):

1. Arlo and Cost should have tested this promotion before taking it live. Despite Costco denying any responsibility - they chose to offer this promotion on their site to their customers so both Costco and Arlo are at fault for not validating that customers can actually claim the one year of service
  2. This really doesn't need to be an engineering problem. It is a customer service issue and Arlo continues to give people duped into purchasing this bundle the runaround. It needs to stop and Arlo needs to remedy this immediately - not when some engineering team has finished some bogus work only to probably come back and say it can't be fixed. And to that point - refer to my previous point that this have already been tested and implemented before taking the promotion live
  3. Arlo could easily remedy this issue by provided verified Costco customer purchases with a promo code that can be used when signing up for the plan

Given the lack of real effort to remedy this through efficient means (making us all wait for an unknown period of time after telling us to escalate all of our cases) - I would recommend all of us return our purchases immediately and seek an alternative. I was hopeful that this would be a great solution and I've already invested in 7 cameras and other accessories. But if this is what we can expect from customer service (for something very trivial) - I can't imagine what would happen if we were to have a real problem.

Arlo - you dropped the ball on this one. And your staff and their responses are devoid of any real sincerity in trying to get this resolved for us.

jbimmerle
Guide
Guide

So received an update to my case this morning. I was told that the case has been escalated to engineering to be "fixed". The only workaround would be to start with the one-month free and then roll into the paid plan. It would then be escalated again to apply credits to my account for the cost of the paid subscription. A few issues with this (@JamesC I hope you're reading this):

1. Arlo and Cost should have tested this promotion before taking it live. Despite Costco denying any responsibility - they chose to offer this promotion on their site to their customers so both Costco and Arlo are at fault for not validating that customers can actually claim the one year of service
  2. This really doesn't need to be an engineering problem. It is a customer service issue and Arlo continues to give people duped into purchasing this bundle the runaround. It needs to stop and Arlo needs to remedy this immediately - not when some engineering team has finished some bogus work only to probably come back and say it can't be fixed. And to that point - refer to my previous point that this have already been tested and implemented before taking the promotion live
  3. Arlo could easily remedy this issue by provided verified Costco customer purchases with a promo code that can be used when signing up for the plan

Given the lack of real effort to remedy this through efficient means (making us all wait for an unknown period of time after telling us to escalate all of our cases) - I would recommend all of us return our purchases immediately and seek an alternative. I was hopeful that this would be a great solution and I've already invested in 7 cameras and other accessories. But if this is what we can expect from customer service (for something very trivial) - I can't imagine what would happen if we were to have a real problem.

Arlo - you dropped the ball on this one. And your staff and their responses are devoid of any real sincerity in trying to get this resolved for us.

Try not to delete this message this time simply because you can't face the truth.

jbimmerle
Guide
Guide

Also seems that the Smart Plans have now changed and even if I wanted to I can't claim the free month (no longer offered from what I can see). Perhaps this is why things are auto registering because Arlo has changed their plans so on the backend the Costco offer for Smart Premier does not align to one of these new plans.

UArlo
Tutor
Tutor
@jbimmerle - it’s not an exclusive promo to the Costco kit. This is a huge problem that’s snowballing thanks to Arlo not having a solution to introducing their premium Arlo Ultra Kits with 1yr Smart Premier plan. It’s a loss for Arlo in that they’re going to see returns, complaints, inviting FTC involvement and just overall dissatisfied customers. I’m doubly frustrated by also not being able to re-activate HomeKit trying tonremove and the-add the hub and cameras multiple times in my quest to get the plan activated. When buying a $1000+ kit that is advertised to include a $120 plan for use and not getting that is a brand and product failure.
UArlo
Tutor
Tutor

It could be a very simple fix if Arlo would issue promo codes for 1yr Smart Premier Plan and include them with the new kits going forward. In a way it’s almost better for them is it then ensures the customers who respond to the offer get it and there will always be some who don’t. It absolves them of failure to deliver by ensuring everyone has the opportunity for the “free” 1yr plan that was included with their kit.

They know who’s activated their hubs/eligible kits. Arlo should be emailing customers codes for those you have the eligible hardware and haven’t activated (their kits). There are definitely more users missing out than are active on this forum. I have friends who not only sold me on Arlo, but who have had an Arlo subscription already and recently upgraded to Arlo Ultra with “free” plans included that haven’t received their plans either. They’re disappointed and combined with the experience they know I’ve been having they’re less likely to recommend Arlo.

Artumis111
Tutor
Tutor
An update on my specific case(s):
After pressing the issue, getting the support ticket escalated to tier 2, speaking to a tier 2 CSM, having her conference in someone from “the billing team” “explain“ to me for the 27th time that the “only recommended solution” from the “hardware team” was to enroll in the free 1 month trial for Arlo Smart Premier (which, still wasn’t an option but I was offered to be walked through enrolling in it, since you know, I’m an idiot and cannot read) be billed for one month, and the. Be credited on a month by month basis for a year.

It’s really amazing how every person and level of support was in lock step on the parroted support script. Kudos to hiring out a call center that sticks to your talking points. Makes it super fun to speak to actual humans who listen less than a machine.

I gave in and enrolled in the Arlo Smart Premier. Lo and behold, it’s been a week and despite being assured by multiple people they would “take responsibility for me case” I haven’t been refunded, near as I can tell I don’t see any form of credits on my arlo subscription within the app or the web interface, nor is there a credit on the credit card I utilized.

Shocker. Big shocker.

The best part in all this is being assured this was the best possible solution....and upon enrolling into Arlo Smart Premier and submitting to monthly billing.....there’s an option for a promo code while checking out.

Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

No one thought to create a promo code for this as a fix? Really guys? Really?

Also, as a side bar, consider bringing your tech support in house. Arlo’s representation of tech support and “Costco only” tech support is hogwash. They have zero experience. I could literally hear every single one of them clicking through there “if/then” call scripts.

Unbelievable guys, that’s simply unbelievable.
Dan-W
Initiate
Initiate

There is nothing on the package to suggest it's only for new accounts, that's false advertising! 

arsh
Tutor
Tutor

Exactly, they should have made it clear.

Also, they should have included a promo code within the box instead of pulling this cheap publicity stunt.

Dan-W
Initiate
Initiate
I spent 2-hours on the phone with customer support and finally got them to send me three promo codes. Of course they didn’t work, but I’ll see if they come through in the end. All I can do now is file a BBB compliant and a compliant with state attorney general’s office.
arsh
Tutor
Tutor

I got the free one year premier subscription with Arlo Ultra Kit on my existing account.

Steps:

1 Cancel my existing subscription and get a refund for the remaining months.

2. Remove Arlo Ultra and the Ultra Base Station from my account.

3. Reset the Ultra base station using the reset button at the back of the Base Station.

4. Repair/Add Ultra Base Station to my existing account.

UArlo
Tutor
Tutor
It’s a feature that they are promoting - that it comes with one year of Arlo Smart included. I will also fully expect that since I got a second kit I will get 2 yrs. although what’s truly disappointing now that I’ve got recording going with my first 1 yr Arlo Smart is the video quality is horrible. I can’t read license plates of people coming into the drive way with the camera being within 5 ft of a car or truck coming in. Even a camera nearly at face level by the door can’t even tell it’s me walking up to the door to enter. So much for 4K quality.
DragonSM1
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having same problem with my new arlo ultra.
The only thing I can do is add monthly plan - not 1 year free subscription