• 2 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hey mate.
It seems like something is going on.
The long and the short of it seems to be that
You can record 4K locally if u don’t have a plan or pay for the 4K plan.
If u pay for the 2k plan you cannot get 4K anything. It seems very weird, Arlo has not responded to my emails or discussions.
Arlos own information says the ultra records locally at 4K still
This has to be an issue judging by Arlo not updating the their information online.
I also noticed that I wasn’t getting discussion updates so came back and have seen the discussion I made has been merged with other discussions.
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, after reading all of the comments, is it time for us to look into a Class Action Lawsuit?  Maybe this is the only option left. I also spent an awful lot of money on Pros and I am not sure under the UCC that this is allowable without full disclosure. 

We purchased these cameras for a ridiculous price only to have a “bait and switch” occur. 

Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy
They have made it clear that nothing else will get their attention.
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

I would sign up for a class action for a number of reasons.

1. The promised Zwave & Zigbee integration hasn't been delivered and doesn't look like to be delivered. This was one of the reasons i purchased Arlo

2. The promised Homekit integration has been half-cooked and does not allow access to a number of Homekit features.

3. 4K local viewing and recording doesn't work, I purchase Arlo Ultra because it was 4, and 4k isn't even active unless you pay a subscription. I still have the box, don't say anything about needing a subscription to use the 4k function. In fact, a number of features called out on the box are now hidden behind a paywall.

4. The advertised "crystal clear 2-way audio" is so delayed it's useless. In fact, I have to use Homekit to view live video, because the Arlo app delay is terrible.

How do we get this started?

Cheers

Matt

Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recommend seeing if there are others and the next step would be to reach out to counsel. 

Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant
Seems like this should by easy but, I can't seem to get arlo to record to my SD card in 4k? Set the smart hub setting to "record in maximum resolution". Still comes out in 1080p. Called customer service, they said I needed to upgrade my plan for the higher resolution, I'm recording to the local drive, that should work in 4k w/o a higher subscription right?
Model: VMB5000 | Arlo Ultra SmartHub
Highlighted
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
This seems to be an unresolved on this community about this exact topic.

But many Arlo customers who aren’t paying the monthly subscription fees are also stating they can’t record 4K to their SD card as well. So you are joining that same group of customers unfortunately.

Seems Arlo does pull every stop to get people to pay some sort of monthly fee with their product, even though many competitors are offering the same options all for free.

Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant
So I basically have a 4k camera that won't record in 4k unless I pay them more $ to do so, even though it clearly states in their instructions that 4k local recording is free? .... Awesome. Can an arlo rep please confirm this? As this makes zero sense.
Model: VMB5000 | Arlo Ultra SmartHub
Highlighted
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Boscht 

I have Pro3 but still following this I also don't understand why a mod has not cleared this up. If one did and I missed it in this long thread I apologize.   

Model: VMB4540 | Arlo Pro 3 SmartHub
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am actually getting a quote to have a Lorex system installed. I cannot wait on Arlo anymore and refuse to pay for cloud service, which has become substandard. I use to get immediate notifications of activity and now I get notifications after the fact. Subsequently, it takes almost 2 minutes for the video to show up...completely useless. 

Good luck on your quest - I choose to speak with my dollars and walk away. Once my hardwired system is installed, I will be selling these cameras/system, probably on E-bay. 

Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

Let us know how the Lorex works, that's what I've been looking at.  Which are you getting, the NVR or DVR ?  From what I've seen you can have cloud with them also.  All for the price of one Ultra per month and up to 12 people with access instead of one.

Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am looking at the DVR but have not made the final decision yet. I agree - the pricing, quality and reviews have convinced me this is the brand. 

Discussion stats
  • 61 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation