Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

JamesC an explanation please on why 4K live is now only 2K live ?

122 REPLIES 122
kgilchrist
Tutor
Tutor

My Arlo Ultra is wired, connected to my SmartHub with an Ultra SD Card and currently has the free 1-year Premier Plan. As detailed, I have the local storage set up to BEST LOCAL RECORDING. https://kb.arlo.com/000062124/How-do-I-record-4K-videos-to-a-local-storage-device

However, when I look at my library on my app, switching to view recorded local storage -- it only shows to be in 2K. Is my recording truly in 2k? Or as I've read on one other thread, this 2k view is only true when viewing within the app, and the SD card must be ejected to view in 4K?

I am confused.

Hopefully this isn't the expected behavior. Surely we can view 4K from the app, IF it is truly 4K?

Jester_aero
Guide
Guide
Hey mate.
It seems like something is going on.
The long and the short of it seems to be that
You can record 4K locally if u don’t have a plan or pay for the 4K plan.
If u pay for the 2k plan you cannot get 4K anything. It seems very weird, Arlo has not responded to my emails or discussions.
Arlos own information says the ultra records locally at 4K still
This has to be an issue judging by Arlo not updating the their information online.
I also noticed that I wasn’t getting discussion updates so came back and have seen the discussion I made has been merged with other discussions.
michele5389
Guide
Guide

So, after reading all of the comments, is it time for us to look into a Class Action Lawsuit?  Maybe this is the only option left. I also spent an awful lot of money on Pros and I am not sure under the UCC that this is allowable without full disclosure. 

We purchased these cameras for a ridiculous price only to have a “bait and switch” occur. 

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor
They have made it clear that nothing else will get their attention.
MShep84
Guide
Guide

I would sign up for a class action for a number of reasons.

1. The promised Zwave & Zigbee integration hasn't been delivered and doesn't look like to be delivered. This was one of the reasons i purchased Arlo

2. The promised Homekit integration has been half-cooked and does not allow access to a number of Homekit features.

3. 4K local viewing and recording doesn't work, I purchase Arlo Ultra because it was 4, and 4k isn't even active unless you pay a subscription. I still have the box, don't say anything about needing a subscription to use the 4k function. In fact, a number of features called out on the box are now hidden behind a paywall.

4. The advertised "crystal clear 2-way audio" is so delayed it's useless. In fact, I have to use Homekit to view live video, because the Arlo app delay is terrible.

How do we get this started?

Cheers

Matt

michele5389
Guide
Guide

I recommend seeing if there are others and the next step would be to reach out to counsel. 

Boscht
Tutor
Tutor
Seems like this should by easy but, I can't seem to get arlo to record to my SD card in 4k? Set the smart hub setting to "record in maximum resolution". Still comes out in 1080p. Called customer service, they said I needed to upgrade my plan for the higher resolution, I'm recording to the local drive, that should work in 4k w/o a higher subscription right?
n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
This seems to be an unresolved on this community about this exact topic.

But many Arlo customers who aren’t paying the monthly subscription fees are also stating they can’t record 4K to their SD card as well. So you are joining that same group of customers unfortunately.

Seems Arlo does pull every stop to get people to pay some sort of monthly fee with their product, even though many competitors are offering the same options all for free.

Boscht
Tutor
Tutor
So I basically have a 4k camera that won't record in 4k unless I pay them more $ to do so, even though it clearly states in their instructions that 4k local recording is free? .... Awesome. Can an arlo rep please confirm this? As this makes zero sense.
dcfox1
Master
Master

@Boscht 

I have Pro3 but still following this I also don't understand why a mod has not cleared this up. If one did and I missed it in this long thread I apologize.   

michele5389
Guide
Guide

I am actually getting a quote to have a Lorex system installed. I cannot wait on Arlo anymore and refuse to pay for cloud service, which has become substandard. I use to get immediate notifications of activity and now I get notifications after the fact. Subsequently, it takes almost 2 minutes for the video to show up...completely useless. 

Good luck on your quest - I choose to speak with my dollars and walk away. Once my hardwired system is installed, I will be selling these cameras/system, probably on E-bay. 

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Let us know how the Lorex works, that's what I've been looking at.  Which are you getting, the NVR or DVR ?  From what I've seen you can have cloud with them also.  All for the price of one Ultra per month and up to 12 people with access instead of one.

michele5389
Guide
Guide

I am looking at the DVR but have not made the final decision yet. I agree - the pricing, quality and reviews have convinced me this is the brand. 

greenhippo
Aspirant
Aspirant

...but these Lorex cameras are not wireless... not only do they need power supply but they also require analog a/v cabling all the way back to the DVR.  That's a bit 1990s isn't it guys?!  Maybe install some cat-5 network cable around your house while you're at it? 🙂

Joking aside, I do feel your 4k/2k pain.  I'm still in the 12-month free trial so 4k local view and 4k SD recording seems to be working fine -- basing that statement on the little '4k' icon on-screen and the file size (about 60 MB per 30 seconds on the SD card).  My pain points are:

- 4k local streaming is unusable due to time lag.

- No thumbnail for files on the SD card before they are downloaded.

- Can't delete individual files off the SD card so 'file housekeeping' is impossible.

- HomeKit integration is poor, hard to believe there's no arm/disarm functionality.

- Can't access the live stream of the camera using an IP address.

- Feeling of dread for what will happen after the free trial ends.

I know some of these points are the subject of other threads.

On the plus side I found the four Ultras with base station pack for $925 or 850€ delivered, by a major online retailer in my country.  That suggests a general lowering of prices and at this price point one does have lower expectations.  For me the performance so far is acceptable, assuming the 4k/2k thing is resolved before too long...

michele5389
Guide
Guide

I understand the cameras are not wireless. The rationale with going with Arlos was to eliminate the need to wire my home. However, this technology (wireless) has proven to be unreliable and until it is further developed, I will go with a wired system for better clarity and reliability. 

Most, if not all, the pain points you mentioned with the Arlo system are covered with the Lorex system. You just have to pick the right system for you. For me, an 8 channel NVR system with 4K and 8 MP cameras for less than I spent on the Arlo camera system is worth it. I can also access the NVR through an app and I don’t have to pay $5.00/month/camera to do it!

Finally, it appears Arlo has abandoned any need to keep up with technology since Netgear sold Arlo. I think this is a precursor of what is to come, so I am bailing out now. 

dcfox1
Master
Master

@michele5389 

Where are you getting $5.00 per camera?  You can get up to 5 cams for $15.00

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Not the DVR but the NVR only needs eithernet.  That's one wire to each takes care of audio, video and power.  Since many end up running a line to Ultra anyway for power it's no different.  Also some  have a couple wireless cams in addition if needed.  The hardwire for DVR means no lag. Since all wireless has some that's a consideration.  But it shouldn't be the lag arlo has become and wasn't originally.  Go to Costco and walk past them.  The hardwire is 0 lag the NVR you can step in front of and see yourself show up but it's only a couple seconds.  Same with a wireless on a RV cam, see someone come up on your rear bumper but look in your side view and they are about your axel.

michele5389
Guide
Guide

You are right - $5/single cam for 4K and $14.99/mo for up to 5 cameras. 

Sorry!

michele5389
Guide
Guide

Good to know - thanks. I did not think about hardwiring the Arlos.  That leaves the remote viewing if I opt to not use cloud storage. I read somewhere there is a work-around but I am nervous about trying to do that. 

greenhippo
Aspirant
Aspirant

One of my Arlos is attached to a tree... not so practical for cat-5 cabling.  Another is on the garage on the other side of the road and the road doesn't belong to me... 🙂 :)... just saying that wireless can have big advantages for some folks.

To your point on power cabling, don't most Arlo Ultra users have the solar panels?  They are super practical.  After one month with moderate daily usage, the four batteries that all started around 80% are up at 100% and never seem to dip below.  Presumably they should never need manual intervention.

But anyway, I'm drifting off topic.  If cables work for you, then maybe worth a try particularly given the above-mentioned 2k/4k frustrations.  Maybe wait for one more release of the app and firmware just in case it gets resolved?

michele5389
Guide
Guide

@greenhippo My issue is not the battery (I do have solar panels), my main issue is the cost for cloud storage to access 4K recording. I started with no charge for these services and since I bought the cameras, they now want to charge. If you do not opt for cloud services, you cannot record 4k locally and there is no way to view what is being recorded without pulling out the SD card and loading into a computer. 

Additionally, when I started with Arlo (2+ years ago), the alerts were instant, no lag and the video quality was better. Within the last 6 months, the lag on notifications has increased, night vision is sub-standard, video (live or recorded) is more pixelated than it has ever been, sometimes the cameras go off-line for no reason (been in the same location for 2+ years), etc.  

Instead of the system getting better, it is getting worse. I have been waiting for almost a year for Arlo to fix some of these issues, like others. 

n11
Apprentice
Apprentice

I originally thought I would use solar but changed my mind immediately after discovering one feature would be missing. When you are on wired power (not solar) there is a 3 second rollback on the video when an event is triggered. Without that 3 second look-back you often miss the action that triggered the event making it useless in many cases. The 3 seconds is not enough but it's better than nothing. This is just one of a long list of frustrations with the Arlo Ultra system.

michele5389
Guide
Guide

@n11 I agree - the list gets longer and longer. 

greenhippo
Aspirant
Aspirant

@michele5389 that is not a happy story.  I could understand the cost gradually creeping up if the quality or feature set kept improving -  but you and @LandJS are clearly describing the opposite.  

@n11 interesting about the three seconds.  I didn’t know this.  Can the camera can tell whether it’s plugged into a USB port or a solar panel (when charging)?

n11
Apprentice
Apprentice

@greenhippo asked: "Can the camera can tell whether it’s plugged into a USB port or a solar panel (when charging)?"

The system can tell but I don't specifically whether it's the camera or the hub. In any event you only get the 3 second look-back when it's on USB power (not solar).