Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

30-Minute Manual Recording Time Restriction

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
IdahoMan
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm curious to know how many other Arlo customers are frustrated with the 30-minute manual recording time restriction. We purchased a system with 11 cameras and a hub for the primary purpose of manually recording consensual counseling sessions as legal evidence. Those sessions usually last more than 30 minutes. The restriction was not apparent in any of the sales literature or online help. We only learned about it after a Support episode. So the system is virtually useless to us for our primary purpose. It works great for everything else.

The reason we were given for this restriction is so that cameras would not completely drain their batteries and consume excessive amounts of storage space if accidentally left recording by a counselor. But putting a seemingly arbitrary time restriction on recording prevents the system from being used for our needs. Why can Arlo not make the limitation user configurable and send a push notification when recording reaches its limit? Make the customer responsible for not misusing the system but give them options for doing so while not preventing them from creating their own data.

Who else has run into this problem and how did you overcome it?

5 REPLIES 5
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

IdahoMan,

A potential solution to allow you longer than 30 minute recording sessions is to subscribe to CVR. The CVR feature is designed for users who need access to extended recording sessions. For more information about CVR, see here: https://kb.arlo.com/1018425/What-is-continuous-video-recording-CVR-and-how-do-I-use-it

JamesC

IdahoMan
Aspirant
Aspirant

That won't work for us. We don't want these private cameras recording constantly or to have to disable them 99% of the time.

Click to record

Click to stop

That's all we're asking for.

HollyStrutt
Tutor
Tutor

Hello, I am also frustrated by the manual recording 30-minute restriction. I subscribe to CVR, so I can see the entire timeline, but I bought two cameras so I can record my puppy for training purposes, generally about an hour long, while I am out, and send to my dog trainer. I use the manual record option because a recording can be “shared” from the library. Can I “share” a specific section of the CVR timeline? If not, then this 30 minute limit is a real problem for me. Thank you. - Holly

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Great to see that users are creative and adapt cameras to their needs, but after all, it's a CCTV system with a specific purpose. 

HollyStrutt
Tutor
Tutor

Admittedly I did not quite understand how the system worked when I purchased it. As someone not familiar with camera systems it is not easy to understand. But once I learned, that is why I paid for the CVR plan. "Continuous Video Recording". It's not a stretch to think one would be able to SHARE that recording, and more than 30 minutes of it. So yes, I am using it for a purpose other than home security (but so are the many many people who use it as a baby cam), but it's pretty arbitrary for the time-out at 30 minutes. PLEASE ARLO, change this, at least make it a changeable user setting.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation