Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

3 out of 4 Arlo Ultra base stations offline. Tried unplugging & powering back but light goes amber.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
george416
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just noticed this morning that 3 out of our 4 base stations are down. Unplugged them, powered them back up, and the status light went solid blue for a bit, but then again the light went amber.

Anyone else experiencing same problem?

thx.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
george416
Aspirant
Aspirant

Some good news:  I brought home an Ultra hub with an Ultra camera from one of our stores, and live-chatted with Karl on Arlo support.  Big thanks to him; he was very patient with me for 2.5 hours and had to escalate this issue.  We finally got it working after performing this procedure:

"There is another workaround that has been provided; please follow these steps:

-remove the Ethernet cable
-remove SD card
-reboot the smart hub (unplug, wait 30 seconds, then replug)
-wait for the smart hub to boot up completely. LED should be blinking amber.
-insert Ethernet cable

-after smart hub boots up, wait for about 3 minutes - LED should blink alternating amber/blue
-wait for the smart hub to reboot and LED should change to Solid amber"

Now, I saw solid blue instead of solid amber on the last step, so I went into Arlo web (since I was already on my Windows PC nearby), and sure enough, the hub and camera appeared just fine.  There was no factory reset, so all the settings were still there.  (I plugged the 512gb microSD card back in the hub afterwards, and noticed it only had 47gb left; unsure if that contributed anything to the problem, but I reformatted it anyways to get back 478.22gb.)

Tomorrow, I'll put this hub back into the store, and then go to the other 2 stores to perform the same procedure on those 2 hubs.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
TomTomNC
Tutor
Tutor
Hi
I have the same problem.
My Arlo Ultra wen offline Sunday night and is still today.
I guess Arlo is facing some issues.
@Arlo kindly tell us if you are currently facing issues with the Arlo Ultra cameras

george416
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yep, I went on chat with Arlo support earlier and they told me I had to power cycle the hubs/base stations and our Internet adapter (see copy of chat below).  We use our hubs in our 4 retail stores, so it looks like I have to make trips to 3 of our stores to manually reset them.  I wish there was a way to reset the Arlo bases remotely.

Wonder what happened to cause 3 of our hubs -- and your hub and possibly others -- to go offline.

= = = =

Thank you for patiently waiting, sorry for the long wait. Checking the details here, I have verified that there are a totoal of 4 Arlo Ultra Smart Hubs and only 1 system is online, the other 3 Hubs with the cameras are offline.

What we can do to isolate the problem is to follow the steps below:

1. Power cycle the internet connection
2. Power cycle Base station/Hub
3. Perform a Factory reset with the Base station/Hub.
Note: Factory reset will remove the hub and cameras from the account.

For the factory reset, here is a link for guidance:
https://kb.arlo.com/1057976/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-base-station-to-the-default-values

TomTomNC
Tutor
Tutor

Hi

Thanks for that.

I'll try the factory Reset but then will have to recreate all my rules;😡

I'm still wondering why it is only affecting the Ultra camera as on my SmartHub, I have Arlo Pro 2 cameras connected which are still online.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You shouldn't need a reset - that's a last resort. For remote power cycling, consider both a UPS for the modem, router and hub/base as well as a WiFi switch such as a WeMo that the hub plugs into. That way, as long as the local WiFi is working you can turn the switch off and back on remotely.

george416
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, so I went to the 3 stores, and it turns out all I needed to do was power cycle the internet modem+router (a Bell 2000 aka Sagemcom 5250), and then the Arlo hub was accessible through the app.

Unsure if our ISP (Bell Canada) did something to the modem that caused 3 of the Arlo hubs to go offline.

TomTomNC
Tutor
Tutor

well

I off course  power  cycle  everything several times before performing a Base reset.

The reset didn't change the situation.

Only few hours later I was able to re-sync my Ultra while the Pro2 were sync instantly after the base reset.

I suspect arlo to have had a temporary problem on the Ultra cameras which make that they went offline and unable to reconnect before a certain time

george416
Aspirant
Aspirant

Looks like I was wrong; the 3 hubs are down again this morning.

I'll have to take a trip to the 3 stores again tomorrow to reset the modem+router and do a reset of the Arlo hubs as well.  *sigh*

TomTomNC
Tutor
Tutor

Hi George

It looks like the problem comes from Arlo, and affects your Ultra cameras .

My Ultra camera is offline, again today but my Arlo Pro2 connected on the Smarthub are OK

Your hubs or modem/routers are not faulty.

@Arlo please, tell us when the problem will be fixed and what has to be done on our side to get our Ultra back online

Tks

george416
Aspirant
Aspirant

tom:  ok thx.  i'll just reset the Arlo hubs tomorrow and see what happens.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Putting a WiFi switch such as a WeMo would allow you to remotely power cycle the hub, eliminating the need for a hands-on visit.

george416
Aspirant
Aspirant

Some good news:  I brought home an Ultra hub with an Ultra camera from one of our stores, and live-chatted with Karl on Arlo support.  Big thanks to him; he was very patient with me for 2.5 hours and had to escalate this issue.  We finally got it working after performing this procedure:

"There is another workaround that has been provided; please follow these steps:

-remove the Ethernet cable
-remove SD card
-wait for the smart hub to boot up completely. LED should be blinking amber.
-insert Ethernet cable

-after smart hub boots up, wait for about 3 minutes - LED should blink alternating amber/blue
-wait for the smart hub to reboot and LED should change to Solid amber"

Now, I saw solid blue instead of solid amber on the last step, so I went into Arlo web (since I was already on my Windows PC nearby), and sure enough, the hub and camera appeared just fine.  There was no factory reset, so all the settings were still there.  (I plugged the 512gb microSD card back in the hub afterwards, and noticed it only had 47gb left; unsure if that contributed anything to the problem, but I reformatted it anyways to get back 478.22gb.)

Tomorrow, I'll put this hub back into the store, and then go to the other 2 stores to perform the same procedure on those 2 hubs.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation