Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wifi Connectivity (long distance) and 2.4 vs 5ghz

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
rdilauro
Luminary
Luminary

Right now, we are  using a Netgear Orbi Outdoor AC3000 Tri-Band Wifi Extender (Model RBS50Y).

Our cameras are between 500 and 750 feet away from the main building.  This Wi-Fi extender works fine with the

cameras located at the 500 foot mark.  I have recently put more ARLO cameras but North and South (covers the beach and each of our docks).  That puts the distance 250' in either direction.  85% of the time, the cameras connect, but go offline once in a while. 

So we are looking at either getting an second Netgear Wifi Extender or Netgear folks suggested their AirBridge satellite (point to point).  That would increase distance, but it connects vis 5ghz..   If this does work, do I assume that our cameras would not connect because of 5ghz.

2 REPLIES 2
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

rdilauro,

Arlo Wire-free cameras that have the option to connect directly to WiFi use the 2.4Ghz band. If the extender broadcasts a 2.4Ghz as well, you would be able to connect to that band with your Arlo cameras.

JamesC

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rdilauro wrote:

So we are looking at either getting an second Netgear Wifi Extender or Netgear folks suggested their AirBridge satellite (point to point).  That would increase distance, but it connects vis 5ghz..   If this does work, do I assume that our cameras would not connect because of 5ghz.

FWIW. I also see 5 ghz only in the AirBridge manual.  2.4 Ghz is only available as a management interface, not for normal use.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation