Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
Steve82759
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased a $500+ Arlo Ultra 2 system with the 2 cameras & smartHub because I was told that it didn't require a monthly subscription to see the videos & that the battery life between charges was 6 months. Both were untrue. System was worthless without the subscription so I ended up buying the subscription. When I access Arlo thru my Windows 10 laptop using the latest version of Microsoft Edge, I am unable to watch any of my videos in my library because my browser is not compatible. The only way I can watch them is if I save the video to my hard drive first which is something I don't want to do considering the several videos it takes. So with Edge not working, IE unsupported & phasing out, which browser does work to watch Ultra 2 4K videos in the Arlo app when I click the video in the library?

26 REPLIES 26
Prolixium
Luminary
Luminary

(edit: typo'ed HEVC)

It's just my opinion but I always thought it was weird that Arlo doesn't.. 

1/ Transcode if the browser doesn't support H.265/HEVC

2/ Don't transcode if the browser DOES support H.265/HEVC

3/ Never transcode the downloaded videos

For #1, it seems better to show a transcoded video with slightly lower quality than to just show nothing and require the user to download it.  For folks like me who like to watch the first few seconds of a bunch of videos at once in the browser, downloading each time makes this pretty much impossible.

Having to use a browser plugin to view a video in 2021 is pretty funny, TBH 🙂

- Mark

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Prolixium wrote:

For #1, it seems better to show a transcoded video with slightly lower quality than to just show nothing

Putting in enough computational horsepower to do real-time video transcoding on this scale would be pretty expensive for Arlo., So I doubt that will ever happen.

@Prolixium wrote:

Having to use a browser plugin to view a video in 2021 is pretty funny,

I'm not sure you actually do need it for Chromium Edge - it might be enough to enable hardware acceleration in the browser if the PC has hardware support for HEVC. 

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation