Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Dwnh
Aspirant
Aspirant

When will I be forced to upgrade my app to the new “Experience “ app? My old one “Secure” still works just fine.

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dwnh wrote:

When will I be forced to upgrade my app to the new “Experience “ app? My old one “Secure” still works just fine.

No way to tell at present.  I think it depends in part on what features you are using.  In any event, Arlo has been going slowly here, since so many folks have run into issues.

Dwnh
Aspirant
Aspirant

I guess that’s good considering what I’ve been reading. 

Wish I knew before I bought two gen 2 cameras. I wont be upgrading the app anytime soon- so they just sit there, useless. 

😞

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dwnh wrote:

Wish I knew before I bought two gen 2 cameras. I wont be upgrading the app anytime soon- so they just sit there, useless. 

FWIW, I am using "Feed".  Mileage does vary, it depends on what features you need.

• What cameras do you have now?
  • How many?
  • Are all the cameras in one location?
  • Do you use geofencing or scheduling?
  • Do you have a subscription?

Dwnh
Aspirant
Aspirant

10 cams, mix of spotlights (and sometimes 2 old, old ones pro?)

one location, use activity zones, hooked to original base station 

varied distances up to the max.

no fencing 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dwnh wrote:

10 cams, mix of spotlights (and sometimes 2 old, old ones pro?)

one location, use activity zones, hooked to original base station 

varied distances up to the max.

no fencing 

If you don't use custom modes or scheduling, then I don't think you'd have issues with Feed.  The biggest issues are

• no custom modes
  • combination of geofencing+scheduling doesn't work
  • harder to arm/disarm cameras directly connected to wifi (but no real difference if you use a base)
  • need for one subscription per location

It does take a few more steps to get to local storage, which is a bit annoying if you don't have a subscription, but not difficult.  The bigger issue there is that since the gen 2 cameras can't connect to the base yet, you'd need a subscription when the trial runs out (until Arlo adds base support).

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation