Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

What are the security concerns to let smarthub connect internet directly

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Leo888
Star
Star

I have several cameras. Most of them have poor wifi connection to smarthub. I have good mesh wifi at all corners of my house, but Arlo products just cannot use it. I have no choice to let the smarthub to connect to my modem directly and face internet, because my modem is in the center of my house and has one extra RJ45 port.

What are the concerns to let the smarthub to connect to internet directly? Are all connections secure and encrypted, especially login?

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Leo888 wrote:

I have no choice to let the smarthub to connect to my modem directly and face internet, because my modem is in the center of my house and has one extra RJ45 port.

What are the concerns to let the smarthub to connect to internet directly? Are all connections secure and encrypted, especially login?

You can't log into the smarthub. It connects directly to the Arlo Cloud. Although I haven't verified this myself, that connection should be secure and is encrypted. 

It sounds like your modem is actually functioning as a router (with one public IP address, and and private local addresses).  Can you confirm that is the case?

Is your mesh system configured as a router also?  Or does it function as an access point (leaving the routing up to the modem)?

BTW, what mesh system model are you using?   FWIW, I have base stations connected to my Orbi mesh, and also have one Arlo camera directly connected to the mesh WiFi.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation