Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Weak Signal from Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
ACMontgomery
Initiate
Initiate
Hello,

Just purchased Arlo Ultra 2. I placed the base station about a foot from my router. They are both about 10 feet from one camera (Front door) and not more than 30 feet from another (corner of house above garage). The signal on the camera reads TWO bars on the one that is 10 feet away. And ONE bar on the one 25-30 feet away. What gives? These things are supposed to reach 300 feet right?

I’ll give u some info about my house:

*** 1700 square feet but 2 levels so only about 1000 sq feet downstairs.

****router and base station placed on wall/shelving system with TV, modem, speakers (wired), and Home Theater system.

Both camera batteries down to 96% in first 2 hours of use. Not sure how they last 3-6 months. Are my walls made of steel? How do I boost signal strength? I still have 2 cameras to install. One another 10 feet away and another maybe another 30 again.
2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First, I would try and move the Base as far away from the router as the cable will allow...

I had to move my Ultra base 10 ft away from my router when there was issues, moving it solved most of the signal issue.

( if possible move to toward the far camera )

As to range, the 300 feet is clear line of sight.  Many things can block wifi and lower range;  mirrors, duc work, walls, etc.

You can not boost range as the bases setup their own wifi network for the camera... the only true way to expand coverage is by more than one base ( if needed )

As to battery draining, much is dependent on usage re listed life... spec life on most of the arlo cameras is 5 mins per day ( record or live view ).  I do get 2+ months on my camera in normal use.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
ACMontgomery
Initiate
Initiate
Ok I moved the base station to a place where all cameras are receiving 2 out of 3 bars. (And about 10 feet from router and modem). The one camera near garage still draining battery very fast. Down to 18 percent in a week. Charging it now. So, increasing the signal to it didn’t help with battery issue.

Also a bit frustrated that a couple walls make this so difficult. When Arlo tells people they go 300 feet I assume they know people live in homes with walls. Lol.

Lastly not sure what they consider normal use. But I live in a neighborhood where people walk by with dogs all day long, cars drive by etc. I consider that normal but not sure if that is the Arlo definition.
Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation