Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
AshTray900
Luminary
Luminary

So these new ultra 2 cams are supposed to record in 4k, I pretty much assumed the cloud was going to downgrade this to 2k bc of the online service 2k max but..

what’s up with the compression? Videos definitely don’t have 4K or 2K sharpness to me, I get a lot of block style artifacts that I was used to with the first gen pro this is mostly night vision when it happens but I’m pretty sure a hefty compression is put on the vids. Anyway to change this?

10 REPLIES 10
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

If the cameras are not on subscription then you get 10% discount on compression.

Yes I’ll have to search the archive sites for the deleted documentation.

AshTray900
Luminary
Luminary

They are 2 new Arlo ultra 2s with the 5000 base, I replaced an old Arlo pro original system, I was on the legacy plan for 9 bucks a month and switched to the secure plan with the same cost, I have enrolled both cameras on the current plan and cancelled all trial plans

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master
AshTray900
Luminary
Luminary

I have the Arlo smart multi camera subscription and the cameras show 2 out of 3 bars, the network is top notch with Orbi system and fiber, I get 900mps both ways on the wired computer when running tests.

if it helps the videos in low light also have less than desirable quality when downloaded directly from the card. Only one cam recording at once, I have no idea how to speed test the camera from the base

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

The bit rate is limited at the camera, 2Mbit max from what I recall, I would not expect it to matter what overall speed you have unless it’s dialup internet.

The reduced bit rate is designed to limit the cloud storage required to keep arlo costs down.

I recall when I purchased my pro2 cameras I was happy to be able to clearly see car rego numbers 40ft from the cameras with cars slowly driving by.

After they gradually reduced the bit rate, to date I can barely make out the rego at 10ft and when motionless.

I cannot say I will miss them when they enter the recycle bin next year.

AshTray900
Luminary
Luminary

@DannyBearAgain 

I guess cloud whatever, I can see enough there but when I switch to base memory card a want my freaking crystal clear pics lol. I didn’t take the 512gb micro SD card from my phone for it just so it can record piss poor quality. I just did a daylight test, zoomed in on the mailbox, I could tell it was a mailbox but you could hardly tell if the flag was up or down. And it’s pretty close, just a typical suburban home with the mailbox right at the end of the driveway and the camera is above the garage door. I guess if they don’t make it compress at the camera/base the cloud wouldn’t notify you quickly enough as it’s processing, I would trade my 30 day history for 7 days of full quality HD on my plan any day

oh btw when the cameras signed themselves up for auto trial they were stamped with 4k after cancelling the trials and moving to my current plan which is just the same aside that it’s for multi cams they now get stamped with 2k, bait and switch? Hmm

AshTray9000
Aspirant
Aspirant

I solved this issue, recordings started looking ok, streaming was poor, had to enable 2k streaming for the camera

not sure why I had to register for the community all over again, bug??

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

They just want you to be aware of the new arlo terms and conditions and be able to wipe your posts if you step out of line going forward, as a guess.

AshTray9000
Aspirant
Aspirant

All I can say is wow….

well hopefully I won’t have to keep putting more 0’s on the end of my name lol

AshTray900
Luminary
Luminary

Looks like I’m fixed now

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes