Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMB5000r5 cannot access local storage with App

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
epmueller
Tutor
Tutor

I have a VMB5000r5 with a 1TB micro-SD card installed, and local storage enabled.  Both the Smart Hub (via wired Ethernet) and the iPhone (13 Pro, ios 15.2.1) are connected to the same network (iPhone via Wi-Fi connection) to a single router.

When I attempt to access the local storage "Library" I receive the following message.

"Videos stored on 'Smart Hub Name' are not available. Please check your connection settings."

I am IT savvy and have checked the obvious, giving the sparse information provided by Arlo (the "Learn more" is useless as it is just a sales pitch for their subscription services).  Is there a fix or work around for this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
epmueller
Tutor
Tutor

I finally figured it out.  Even though the Arlo app message stated to check the network settings I did not realize until today that it was referring to its own network settings.  There is a switch under Settings --> Arlo --> Local Network that is by default 'off'.  After turning the switch 'on' the local storage was immediately accessible.  I appreciate your assistance.  It helped me to step back and see "the trees rather than the forest".

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm not seeing this on my iphone 12 mini (also running iOS 15.2.1).  Though I am using a smaller card (128 GB).

Has this ever worked for you?

Not sure if the "obvious" included restarting the base station or not - just in case, I do suggest trying that if you haven't done it already.

Also, if you have port forwarding enabled, try disabling that and see if it makes any difference.

epmueller
Tutor
Tutor

Yes.  I have restarted all of the devices, router, smart hub, iPhone, network switches, even all the PCs.  No joy.  (Note that I am a recently retired computer engineer of 44 years.) 

epmueller
Tutor
Tutor
epmueller
Tutor
Tutor

Access to local storage has NEVER worked.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@epmueller wrote:

Access to local storage has NEVER worked.

One thing to check is whether the videos are actually being locally stored.

Try removing the card, and connecting it to a PC (which might require a microSD/USB adapter).  Then see if the videos are being stored or not.  If there's a compatibility issue with the microSD card, then that needs to be addressed first.

FWIW, I am not discounting your experience.  One way or another, we are likely to suggest stuff you've already tried.  There is a chance that you missed something, so that's not entirely bad (though it can be frustrating). 

I agree there isn't much out there to aid in troubleshooting - Arlo just doesn't supply enough information on how the system functions.

@epmueller wrote:

Port forwarding is NOT enabled.

GTK.  It's not enabled on my system either.   Not sure this is relevant, but I use an Orbi mesh router.  One of my bases is connected to a mesh extender, the others are connected via a Netgear managed switch.

Though some have reported (counter-intuitively) that enabling port forwarding was needed for them to access the library from their local network.  Not sure what router they were using.  So it might also be worth trying this as a test.

You could also disable cellular data on the phone, just to make sure the app is forced to use the wifi connection.

epmueller
Tutor
Tutor

I didn't think of that since the micro-SD card formatted OK in the Smart Hub.  That said I pulled the card and checked it with my PC. A number of recordings are present and readable on the PC.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@epmueller wrote:

I pulled the card and checked it with my PC. A number of recordings are present and readable on the PC.

Great.

Can you try the other two tests, and let us know the results?

epmueller
Tutor
Tutor

I finally figured it out.  Even though the Arlo app message stated to check the network settings I did not realize until today that it was referring to its own network settings.  There is a switch under Settings --> Arlo --> Local Network that is by default 'off'.  After turning the switch 'on' the local storage was immediately accessible.  I appreciate your assistance.  It helped me to step back and see "the trees rather than the forest".

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm glad you sorted it out.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation