Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Takbo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I need some help on how to change out my Arlo Pro 2 system to the Arlo Ultra 2.

Initially I just want to one for one swap out 4 cameras and the base station, naming the cameras the same as they were. Once its all up and running can I add the pro 2 cameras in new locations? Maybe using the old base (VBM4000) as an extender if needed? If so, how do I add it as an extender and add the camera to it?

Any other tips or advice is welcomed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Takbo wrote:

So what you are saying is don't remove any of the pro 2 cameras or the base station (smart hub?) from my account and add the new smart hub and cameras (8 cameras and 2 smart hubs). 

Yes, that is what I would do.  

FWIW, you do not have a smarthub yet - only VMB4540 and the VMB5000 are smarthubs.

@Takbo wrote:

Will the new cameras know which smart hub to connect to, or will I select that? 

First you will connect the smarthub (which will need its own ethernet to your router), and add it to your account using "add device".

Then you'll add the cameras - and you will select the base station as part of the process.

@Takbo wrote:

Will the Pro 2 and the Ultra 2 work on either smart hub also keeping the 4k if on the VMB4000?

Yes.  But if you are considering not subscribing for the ultras, you definitely want to use the new smarthub for those cameras. 

The VMB4540 and VMB5000 let you access local storage (microSD for the VMB5000) from the app w/o a subscription. The VMB4000 does not.  There are a lot of limitations to that feature, so if it is something you want to use after the trial subscription ends, then you should definitely set up it up during the trial.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Takbo wrote:

Initially I just want to one for one swap out 4 cameras and the base station, naming the cameras the same as they were. Once its all up and running can I add the pro 2 cameras in new locations? Maybe using the old base (VBM4000) as an extender if needed? If so, how do I add it as an extender and add the camera to it?

I suggest that you just rename the Pro 2 cameras, and then add the new smarthub and Ultra cameras to your existing account.  Then after the new stuff is working, you can potentially move some Ultras to the smarthub (or vice versa).

You will need a subscription for the Ultra cameras to get cloud storage - they don't have the free 7-day cloud storage that the Pro 2 cameras have.

Takbo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

So what you are saying is don't remove any of the pro 2 cameras or the base station (smart hub?) from my account and add the new smart hub and cameras (8 cameras and 2 smart hubs). I don't have the new system yet, (it is the VMS5440-2CCNAS ordered from Costco) so not sure if the instructions will say anything about adding to an existing system. Will the new cameras know which smart hub to connect to, or will I select that? Will the Pro 2 and the Ultra 2 work on either smart hub also keeping the 4k if on the VBM4000?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Takbo wrote:

So what you are saying is don't remove any of the pro 2 cameras or the base station (smart hub?) from my account and add the new smart hub and cameras (8 cameras and 2 smart hubs). 

Yes, that is what I would do.  

FWIW, you do not have a smarthub yet - only VMB4540 and the VMB5000 are smarthubs.

@Takbo wrote:

Will the new cameras know which smart hub to connect to, or will I select that? 

First you will connect the smarthub (which will need its own ethernet to your router), and add it to your account using "add device".

Then you'll add the cameras - and you will select the base station as part of the process.

@Takbo wrote:

Will the Pro 2 and the Ultra 2 work on either smart hub also keeping the 4k if on the VMB4000?

Yes.  But if you are considering not subscribing for the ultras, you definitely want to use the new smarthub for those cameras. 

The VMB4540 and VMB5000 let you access local storage (microSD for the VMB5000) from the app w/o a subscription. The VMB4000 does not.  There are a lot of limitations to that feature, so if it is something you want to use after the trial subscription ends, then you should definitely set up it up during the trial.

Takbo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you! You have been very helpful. But, now I have more questions:

1. When you say "Then you'll add the cameras - and you will select the base station as part of the process." do you mean add the base station to the smart hub?

2. Assuming I wont need the base station for extening the range, would it be best to not even use the VBM4000 and add all cameras to the smart hub?

3. I plan on letting the free trial run out and see if I like it compared to the subscription. Aside from losing some video quality, what else can I expect also lose? Will the pro 2's also record to local storage if added to smart hub?

Thanks again!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Takbo wrote:

1. When you say "Then you'll add the cameras - and you will select the base station as part of the process." do you mean add the base station to the smart hub?

No.  You first add the smarthub to your account.  The smarthub and the base are completely independent.

Then you add the cameras, one step is to choose which base the cameras are connecting too (either the VMB5000 or the VMB4000).  The system is not a mesh, you need to explicitly choose the base you want to use for for each camera.

@Takbo wrote:

2. Assuming I wont need the base station for extending the range, would it be best to not even use the VBM4000 and add all cameras to the smart hub?

That could be the best setup.  But I still suggest leaving your current setup untouched until you get the upgrade running.

Two other advantages of keeping both bases running:

1. There is a limit of 5 simultaneous streams for the bases (including smarthubs).  So if you want to use more then 5 cameras, then you might sometimes lose recordings with only one base.
  2. The VMB4000 has a siren, the VMB5000 does not.

@Takbo wrote:

3. I plan on letting the free trial run out and see if I like it compared to the subscription. Aside from losing some video quality, what else can I expect also lose? Will the pro 2's also record to local storage if added to smart hub?

You'd lose activity zones w/o a subscription.

Limitations of direct access to local storage include

• Recordings only available in the app (not the browser)
  • Recordings only available to the primary account (not friend accounts)
  • No ability to make manual recordings or snapshots
  • No thumbnails
  • Remote access can be hard to set up (requires router setting changes), and isn't possible with some internet providers (two of several examples are T-mobile broadband and Starlink).

The Pro 2 camera recordings will be saved in whatever base they are connected to, assuming that base has local storage attached.  You'd be able to access those recordings from the app if they are connected to the VMB5000.  But recordings saved on the VMB4000 can only be viewed if you eject the USB drive and then connect it to a PC.

Takbo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you. This really helps knowing before my new cameras arrive. 😁

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation