Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary

Just noticed some details about the Ultra 2 coming.

One thing is increased WiFi or at least hub ability I need at least 350 ft, ideally 375... If the Ultra 2 hits that range I'm in. 

But question, would that mean I can set the Ultra 2 350 ft away if connected to Hub even tho my home WiFi does not reach that far? And if so, would I be able to live view or only hub recordings?

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Prob not... most wifi is touted as a max range of 300 ft... this is under ideal conditions and line of sight.

Start going thru walls, etc and the distance can be less ( much depends also on type of building materials )

So unless you have another hub ( more than one) unit your not going to be able to cover 350ft

( multi hubs are the only true way to expand coverage... but ethernet cable can easily cover that distance you need )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary

Yeah, I'm unsure why they boast that these will have a greater range since current ones have 300 ft already from the hub.

Not sure how to run an ethernet cable outside with WiFi that far. We don't have any electricity in that area. I'd get the Arlo Go but that's $20/mo just to add onto my cell plan.

LandToSea
Guide
Guide

I do not get why ARLO continues with the HUB restrictive design. Mesh WiFi is the standard in most new implementations and resolves distance issues with devices. I moved away from an ARLO system over a year ago for this being a main reason and really thought with the new releases they would have figured out that they need to transition away from the ARLO hub being the WiFi contact point. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you moved away from Arlo, why are you still here? Also, there are newer Arlo cameras that DO connect to your WiFi rather than a base/hub although the connection to a base does provide additional features such as local recording.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

If you moved away from arlo why are you still here ?  Maybe curiosity why do you care.  I go to many sites out of curiosity after I'm done with the product, like when I see a story let's say about the new V2 which by the way other than claiming improved distance is really the same as V1.  Others come on here to tell some of us how their new choice in systems is working like those trying eufy or Lorex.  I'm happy to see his and others comments.

LandToSea
Guide
Guide

Not that I need to qualify my reasoning to you or anyone else, but I am here to review the user feedback on new products hoping they finally improved from the Pro system I had. What ARLO products operate using a WiFi mesh instead of a hub?

Target_Acquired
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am here for the same reason as LandToSea. 

Over time, all of my old Arlo 1 cameras stopped working for various reasons.  In 2017-18 when I had them all running, I was having problems with a bright flash at the beginning of recordings, with motion capture being triggered without any motion actually there.

Today, due to the riots, I'm in the market for a new camera system.  So before stomping off to buy a Ring system or paying to have a wired system installed all around my home, I decided to give Arlo a fresh shot. Yes, even though I was not happy with my previous experience as noted above. 

So I came back here to see if some of this stuff has been fixed, and I find it disappointing to see discouragement being leveled at a fellow "former-but-maybe-to-be-again" Arlo owner.  Besides that, I had built myself an 11 camera system and even today I still have an active subscription.  I'm paying my dues to help build this product line and fund this support forum, so in a way I've actually kind of PAID for the right to be here and ask the tough questions.

Sorry for the rant.  I'll close with a sample of one of my tough questions:  2K and 4K sound nice, but what I have NOT read about in any of the product adverts on this site is if any of the 2017-2018 problems actually got FIXED in the AP2, AP3, or APULTRA lines.  Where can I find that information?  Don't answer it here, I'll post a thread with all of my questions.  At least that will make me feel like I'm getting my $150 worth.  😉

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation