Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ultra 2 without subscription

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
phylfunk
Follower
Follower

With the changes I've been reading about regarding using Arlo cameras without a subscription, I'm really confused. I have three Arlo Ultra 2 cameras and currently have a subscription plan. If I go to the totally free plan, what will that include? Will I get notifications upon activity? Will videos be stored on the cloud for future reference? Will I still be able to grant access to others? Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There is no "totally free plan" for any camera newer than the Pro 2. You either have a subscription for cloud recordings or you set up local recordings in the settings for your hub (you appear to have Ultras so you already have a hub unlike those who are connecting directly to WiFi). Without a sub, you'd get notifications but no cloud recordings so you'd have to look at your hub's recordings. And, yes, you can still grant access to others but it wouldn't be useful since they can only see cloud recordings.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@phylfunk wrote:

With the changes I've been reading about regarding using Arlo cameras without a subscription, I'm really confused. I have three Arlo Ultra 2 cameras and currently have a subscription plan. If I go to the totally free plan, what will that include? 

This gives a pretty good description:

You'll get no cloud storage at all.  If you care about recordings, you'd need to use direct access to local storage.  You can try setting that up now, and see if it will work for you.  Try using it both when both home and away, to make sure remote access works as expected.

"Direct Access to local storage" limitations include

• recordings only available in the app - not the browser.
  • recordings only available using the primary account - not friend accounts.
  • no ability to make manual recordings or snapshots
  • no thumbnails - all videos need to be downloaded to the phone before viewing them
  • remote access requires router setting changes that many find difficult (and which won't work with some internet service providers).

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation