Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ultra 2 "you found a premium feature"

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Subpar
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, I had to change wifi connection on VMB4000re base which has 2 pro 2, and two ultra 2 cams attached to it. Ended up resetting base and adding all 4 cams back in. Pro 2's work fine but  I no longer have motion detection on ultra 2's. I can view them live and my settings are identical as prior to reset and changing wifi. When I go to devices, and select either ultra 2, I get a picture of a cloud with "you found a premium feature" (give us more money) notification. I store locally with no subscription and my setup was working fine before resetting base to make new wifi connection. Thoughts? 

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Subpar wrote:

So, I had to change wifi connection on VMB4000 ... my setup was working fine before resetting base to make new wifi connection. Thoughts? 

The base connects to your router with ethernet, not wifi.  While the base does create a closed wifi connection for the cameras, that is not something Arlo lets you change.

So whatever your intent, you did not actually change a "wifi connection on the base", as that is not possible.  FWIW, if you got a new router, all that was needed was to connect the base to one of the new router's LAN ports.

@Subpar wrote:

I store locally with no subscription and my setup was working fine before resetting base to make new wifi connection. 

The VMB4000 supports local recording, but it does not support playback. The only way to see the recordings with that base is to eject the storage, connect it to a PC, and browse for the recordings.

Your Pro 2 cameras were sold with free 7-day cloud recording, so you will see recordings in the the app (and my.arlo.com) for them.  Those recordings are stored in the Arlo cloud.

However, Ultra/Ultra 2 cameras (like all currently sold cameras) did not come with 7-day cloud storage - you need a subscription (either paid or trial) to see recordings for those cameras.  So the puzzle here is why you were seeing cloud recordings for those cameras before you reset everything.

Possibilities:

1. You might have a VMB4540 base (which does support playback of local recording).  In this case you might need to set that up again.  The base should have a VMBxxxx label.
  2. The cameras might have been on a trial subscription that expired.

Subpar
Aspirant
Aspirant

It all worked fine prior for a couple years. The base is a VM4000re. I imagine when resetting base arlo firmware got into it and looked for the money grab. Seems to be their focus. Pay high buck for subpar product and then get stuck in the weeds. until you spend more. Thanks for the input, but I think I am done with this garbage. It's never performed very well, unacceptable delays in capture, etc. I think I'll get something wired that actually works like a security system should and use this arlo system to see what happened yesterday. 

Subpar
Aspirant
Aspirant

I will add, when I changed my routers isp the arlo system stopped functioning. The only way to recover it was to reset it. Unplugging and plugging the cat5 back into the router did nothing. After reset of the VM4000re, the two ultras displayed as noted. I have never had a trial, never had an issue previously with the ultras for at least 19 months. The information online is conflicting. Why in the world would I not be able to record locally without a subscription. This is just BS. And why was I able to for so long prior, until the system was reset? The bottom line is that these wireless cameras, which are extremely overpriced, are slow to capture, don't work for sheet in night vision mode, the batteries do not last when set to trigger. All.in all it's just a pretty package that is really not competitive. I would suggest anyone reading this look for a wired system, if possible, or even look at simplisafe, which is my other system that has been flawless in comparison. Years ago when I bought this arlo base, the support was absolutely unacceptable. I don't think it's changed.much since. Just my two cents, and I rarely complain, but this is just what happens when a manufacturer is hungry for a buck and let's support lapse and constantly introduces "upgraded" products and paid for packages that have not been thoroughly tested in the real world. All you have to do is scrub the web a bit and you'll see there are.mucb better options. Run folks!

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation