Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Loyed
Apprentice
Apprentice

I’m trying to understand the subscription plans. It seems like the only plan for the Ultra 2 kit is the most expensive plan at $15 / month. It also seems that the lesser camera systems get a free 7 day rolling record of 1080 video while the most expensive, highest end camera (the Ultra 2 they are selling all over Costco) doesn’t get any kind of free, rolling record even are reduced quality.

So the highest end, most elite system Arlo sells to customers doesn’t get as many monthly options as the cheaper, low cost systems. It seems like unless you pay for the monthly elite subscription the highest end Ultra 2 cameras are pretty useless. 

I’ll couple this with the Ultra 2’s inability to actually detect motion and record people walking in the driveway and say these things are a huge disappointment. Reading over these forums and other internet discussion of the Ultra 2 shows a lot of people that aren’t satisfied with these things. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Pro 2 and older models get the free plan since they're grandfathered in. As noted any newer camera have to have a subscription for cloud recording (but not for local recording). It's a business plan issue, plain and simple.

As for recording issues, I have several newer cameras and don't have any issue. Be sure to read the FAQs here on best camera positioning as well as modifying motion sensitivity in the support section here (as well as many other topics). Motion has to be across the FOV, as is true of any PIR-based sensor system, not at the camera and also has to be within ~25 feet at 100% sensitivity in your modes and rules. Many folks have made basic camera positioning errors and wondered why things are missed that repositioning has cured.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Pro 2 and older models get the free plan since they're grandfathered in. As noted any newer camera have to have a subscription for cloud recording (but not for local recording). It's a business plan issue, plain and simple.

As for recording issues, I have several newer cameras and don't have any issue. Be sure to read the FAQs here on best camera positioning as well as modifying motion sensitivity in the support section here (as well as many other topics). Motion has to be across the FOV, as is true of any PIR-based sensor system, not at the camera and also has to be within ~25 feet at 100% sensitivity in your modes and rules. Many folks have made basic camera positioning errors and wondered why things are missed that repositioning has cured.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation