Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ultra 2 now not recording

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Morko
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased an Arlo Ultra 2 camera to replace a

dead Pro 2 that fell in water and died, initially the U2 worked as expected but now there are no local recordings on the 4000r3 base station even though it recorded before, tried rebooting but to no avail, using the Arlo App, it shows activity on the U2 camera, but nothing recorded, the other cameras still

record, what could have happened? They are linked to Apple HomeKit if that causes problems.

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Morko wrote:

I purchased an Arlo Ultra 2 camera to replace a

dead Pro 2 that fell in water and died, initially the U2 worked as expected but now there are no local recordings on the 4000r3 base station even though it recorded before, tried rebooting but to no avail, using the Arlo App,

Do you still have a subscription for the Ultra 2?

If not, did you know that the only way to see local recordings with a VMB4000 is to remove the storage from the base station and connect it to a PC?

Recordings you see for the Pro 2 cameras in the app/browser are actually in the cloud.  The Pro 2 came with 7 days of free cloud storage.  But the Ultra (like all newer Arlo camera models) doesn't come with that feature, and needs a subscription to get any cloud storage.

Morko
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, it seems strange as when I first connected the Ultra 2, it recorded onto the SD card in the base station and I could use the Arlo app on my iPhone to see the recordings, then around 3 months later, the ultra 2 stopped local recording, I can still see the recordings from the Pro2 cameras on the SD card through the app. 
If I cannot use local recording on the ‘Ultra2’ it is a shame.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Morko wrote:

when I first connected the Ultra 2, it recorded onto the SD card in the base station 

You said earlier that you had a VMB4000 base.  The only base that has microSD card storage is the VMB5000 smarthub.

Can you confirm the base station model you are talking about?

Local recording doesn't require a subscription, the ability to see local recordings in the app is limited to the VMB4540 and VMB5000.  Note you do need to select the base station when you go into the library, otherwise you are looking at cloud recordings.

margnotis
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi everyone,

I would like to get the arlo ultra 2 for monitoring my parking lot and activities. However, I'm not too sure if the device is capable of doing the following

1. Continuous recording to an SD card where I can also stream live footage. Does it also auto-delete older videos after certain days?

2. Review the historical footage without taking the SD card out (view playback on the software like Wyze cam)

3. Use it totally wired without batteries and disable any notifications for motion recording

Thank you.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@margnotis wrote:

I would like to get the arlo ultra 2 for monitoring my parking lot and activities. However, I'm not too sure if the device is capable of doing the following

1. Continuous recording to an SD card where I can also stream live footage. Does it also auto-delete older videos after certain days?

2. Review the historical footage without taking the SD card out (view playback on the software like Wyze cam)

3. Use it totally wired without batteries and disable any notifications for motion recording

The Ultra 2 requires a smarthub (a VMB5000 if you want to record to microSD).  The microSD card is in the smarthub. 

Continuous video recording requires a subscription, and the continuous recording is in the cloud - not the microSD card.  It is also only 1080p (despite the camera being 4k).  The microSD card only stores motion-triggered or audio-triggered recordings.

Also, if you are expecting to read license plates from the footage, you will almost certainly be disappointed.  The camera has a very wide field of view, and the pixels per foot really aren't enough to capture license plates consistently.  Lighting also plays into this - headlight glare for instance often makes it impossible to see the plate at all.

The camera can be hard-wired (and Arlo does offer an outdoor power adapter accessory).  And you can disable notifications, motion-triggered recordings, and audio-triggered recordings.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation