Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ultra 2 not picking up animals

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
McClure
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello, I recently bought the new ultra 2 system from Costco. They are not picking up animals like raccoons, cats, skunks, and foxes. Especially at night time. I upgraded from the ultra pro which would send notifications all night long of wildlife passing through the yard. I’m tired of waking up to discover that the raccoons have ripped up my whole lawn in front of the cameras undetected. I have tried adjusting the positioning. Sensitivity is at 100%. No activity zones set. Smart notifications set to pick up everything. Low light and spot light settings appropriately set. I opened a claim with Arlo support and they never got back to me after three times of contacting them. Any ideas before I return these?
6 REPLIES 6
dcfox1
Master
Master

The cams usually have a max of 25 feet for motion. Small animals may be less. You can read the FAQ in the Ultra 2 forum and the link below may help with positioning the cams for best coverage to start with. 

https://kb.arlo.com/000062211/How-do-I-position-my-Arlo-Ultra-camera-to-detect-motion-in-specific-ar...

mbejdom
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am suffering the same problem with Ultra 2 cams, is there any update concerning this issue? Thanks a lot in advance.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

mbejdom,

As mentioned above, camera positioning is important for determining what motion can be detected in your environment. For tips on positioning your camera for best performance, take a look here: How do I position my Arlo Ultra camera to detect motion in specific areas?

JamesC

McClure
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have tried everything. Positioning is not a problem. The setting are all fine also. My arlo pro cameras were way better at detecting small animals. It is a hardware/software issue. The arlo ultra 2 cameras are a major disappointment.
Loyed
Apprentice
Apprentice

I would agree. These cameras are terrible at picking up motion. Mine won’t even pick up most humans walking in what the camera setup image tells me is the motion range.

weft
Apprentice
Apprentice

My two "Arlo Ultra 2" (au2) cameras are great in picking up motions (cats, squirrels, people) and sounds to trigger recordings. I see big improvements in motion sensor sensitivity in  au2 compared with my old 1st gen. Arlo cameras.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation