Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ultra 2 melted because of faulty Wasserstein battery

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ddavtian5
Guide
Guide

Hi all. 

I want to share my experience with Wasserstein battery and power cable for Arlo Ultra 2. I got my Ultra 2 set at the end of last year (less than a year), in addition to few Pro 3 and Pro 2 (most of them powered with Arlo cables). Before installation I missplaced one battery for Ultra 2, went for cheaper Wasserstein battery, thought it would be fine. Got the battery in February, immediately knew it was faulty because it was charging from low battery to 100% within an hour and then discharging similarly fast. I connected it to a power cable, also from Wasserstein, and thought it would be good enough. It worked fine until last month. I was traveling for few days and got a message in Arlo app that this camera was too hot and needed to cool down before it could be used. My cameras are in San Francisco bay area where we have had high temperatures (camera was in a protective case but getting direct sunlight, similar to few other cameras). I didn't think much about it, thought it would be fine in a day or two. I got home after 4 days, checked the camera. It had melted from inside, from one side you can see the black battery through the hole that has been opened on camera body. You could smell burned plastic from distance. I lost an expensive camera, but I'm lucky it didn't start a fire. We are in constant high alert here, one spark may start fire. Camera had melted the plastic case from inside, there is a hole on one side of the camera, back is completely disfigured, cannot open it. 

I contacted Wasserstein, asking them if they were interested to get their burned battery and check it out. Got a message from a support person that somebody would reach out to me within 48 hours. That was 3 weeks ago, nothing from them. 

I wish I had gone for Arlo battery and not tried to save few dollars. I have camera mounts from Wasserstein, they have been fine. But  I will never buy a battery or power cable from them. 

Arlo support, if you see this post and are interested in melted camera, let me know. 

I was able to add only one picture, will try to add few more if anybody is interested. 

20210822_094418.jpg
3 REPLIES 3
ddavtian5
Guide
Guide

Adding picture of other side. 

20210822_094345.jpg
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Wow!

Thx for sharing your experience, and I hope you do get something back from Wasserstein.  Maybe share your pictures in a review at the seller website???

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

sounds like lack of a over current circuit....

Or was it plugged in all the time?  Then maybe charger circuit not shutting off.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation