Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ultra 2 has long lag when trying to live stream? Has this been resolved?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
PoolofPower
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi - I've been researching security cameras and the Ultra 2 has made it to the shortlist HOWEVER I've seen numerous reviews and forum posts (including here) claiming there can be a stupidly long lag when trying to live stream from the cameras (I'm guessing is because some bright spark at Arlo decided that routing everything through Arlo's cloud service would be a good idea). Anyhow, is this still an issue, or has this been resolved?

Cheers

Nigel 

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

"It depends." (TM)

Lag isn't due to the use of the cloud except when the the World Wide Wait is doing its thing. Lag is generally due to a signal strength/quality issue between the camera and base/hub/router (depends on how the camera is connected). A poor signal for any reason means the stream isn't going to work satisfactorily. I just tried streaming  on two Ultras, both of which have 2 bars of signal showing and are both set to use 4k streaming and achieved a steady stream in ~6 seconds. Stupid lag means the user needs to figure out why - wireless devices are affected by an awful lot of things in the environment; they don't "just work" in every situation.

dcfox1
Master
Master

I don't have the Ultra 2 but on my Pro3's I have about a 5 second lag give or take a second at times. 

UnhappyUltra
Initiate
Initiate

I would also suggest that you look at reviews of customer service actions for all the systems you are considering. I can attest that Arlo Customer Service is good at providing information you may need for technical issues you need to provide your own troubleshooting and adjustments BUT if you have an issue that requires a camera to be replaced, get ready for the run around. You will be misquoted or mischaracterized  by the responding support person. I’ve seen this before and it’s purposefully by design. If you have a failure of a camera, even their top of the line camera, they will refuse to replace it with a new one (even if the failure is immediate or close to it) and only offer you a used, “reworked” camera as a replacement. Take that into consideration when making your purchase decision. 

mlsc7416
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just set up my Ultra 2 and am VERY disappointed in the lag in the live stream.

I love this camera and the wide view, but am very unhappy with the live stream with the long lag.

I am so sorry to say that these will be going back very soon.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

What is a long lag ?  That has as many answers as people being asked.  For some 6 seconds isn't long, for others it's an eternity on a security system.  There is no such thing as no lag on a wireless system and one best opt for a wired system, some of which will also come with a couple wireless cams for areas needing it but those will still have lag.  What I have found after more than 2 years is that it is often dependent on the latest firmware update.  My signal strength seldom changes from 3 bars on most to 2 bars on some.  After some updates I've had going live take 25 to 30 seconds.  For now testing today going live takes 2 to 3 seconds.  That is 1001 - 1002 - 1003.  

PoolofPower
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'd say 25-30 secs is long...and virtually useless for a live stream. Sub-5 secs would be ideal.

Hmuralles
Aspirant
Aspirant
Have you linked your Arlo Ultra 2 Hub to APPLE HomeKit? The lag almost disappeared once I linked mine. Also I use the Home Cam app and the video lag is minimal. I upgraded my internet speed to 400+ Mbps. I think it was a combination of the two that solved the frustrating video lag issue. Hope this helps.
Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation