Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ultra 2 and Asus routers. Does it not work well? Which router to use?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Marco84098
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just purchased an Ultra 2 set of cameras, hub, wired doorbell,  the works. Unfortunately, the smart hub will not even begin to connect to the outside world. I've exhausted all manner of tech support, asus support on port 80 and all else. 

Arlo is sending a new base station after an entire evening last night trying in vain to get the hub going. 

Couple of questions:

Does Arlo just not work well with Asus routers in the first place? 

What is the best router for the system?

Do those who've bought the Ultra 2 setup wish they could get something different?

Are the battery issues that prevalent that I should return and get a wired system?

Thanks, and any other bits of info would be appreciated.

Marco

5 REPLIES 5
SinisterStairs
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Marco84098 wrote:

Are the battery issues that prevalent that I should return and get a wired system?

I bought one of the 25' outdoor charging cables, and that's been enough for me to charge my cameras for a few hours every few weeks [in the winter, when the batteries don't last as long].  You could buy a charging cable for each camera and leave them always plugged in if you don't want to worry about the batteries.

But if that's not acceptable for you or 25' isn't enough range, then yeah, you should look at PoE systems instead.

I can't address your Asus issues, but FWIW, the base station worked fine with my gateway/router (Unifi).  The mobile app worked perfectly for me, but to get the web version to watch live, I had to activate local storage with a microSD card.  Before that, the web app would keep timing out / not connect.

I don't know why turning on local storage would fix it, but I didn't bother investigating because I intended to use local storage anyways.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

I have been using an Asus AC3100 for more than two years now and not had an issue.  Just plugged it in to the router so doubt it would be the router causing your issue.

Marco84098
Aspirant
Aspirant

With the hub I would definitely want local 30 day storage, that's the purpose behind the Ultra 2's.

I am considering getting solar panel chargers, if the new hub works and the system can be set up.

Big IF at this point....

Marco84098
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good to know,  and for setup, it is plugged directly into the router - which is fully up to date on firmware et al.

The port forwarding was set up properly, so judging by how quick tech support was to say they were sending a new base station - after we went through all options of resets - they seem to be certain that the base is the issue. We will see.

Marco84098
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thread update:

Received new hub to get the system up and running, and.... no go... 

In spite of two dozen hours of research, tech help line, IT pro help from friend, and every other possible base covered the hub would not gain simple traction. That was not acceptable in the least.

System on the way back. Doing heavy research into other options.

Good luck folks.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation