Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base Station + Ultra 2 vs. Wifi direct with Pro4

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Jeeper1704
Follower
Follower

I'm in the market for new Arlo Cameras for security and I'm curious specifically on the Pros / Cons of using the base station with Ultra 2 cameras versus just going wifi direct with Pro4 cameras? I understand the differences in the cameras themselves, more looking for base station versus direct wifi guidance.

I run a google mesh network in the house so I have great wifi coverage throughout the interior and exterior of the home. I'm thinking Pro4 cameras would have a better connection being connected directly to Wifi versus Ultra 2 cameras that have to connect to a base station. I'd ideally like to put 4 cameras around the exterior of my 3,000 sq/ft home, and based on the footprint of the house and walls inhibiting the base station I assume I'd need at least 2 base stations to have adequate coverage/connection for the Ultra 2 cameras. Are there other feature benefits of the base station I should consider? 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or guidance! 

2 REPLIES 2
SinisterStairs
Apprentice
Apprentice

The advantage of a hub is being able to store video locally (necessary if you don't want to pay for a subscription; although even with a hub, a sub has some advantages).  Arlo claims it can increase camera battery life too.

dcfox1
Master
Master

As @SinisterStairs said the hub has local storage but as he said it has it draw backs. So I just use it for back up. The Subscription to me is worth it and you would need it for cloud recordings and if connected only to wifi. Also Activity Zones only work with a Sub if cam is not on AC power. If you have a good wifi network The Pro4 should be good. If you use a second  Hub you need a second Ethernet port like a powerline extender to plug an extra hub into. I saw in the Pro4 forum from some posters that CVR requires a Hub Even though it is stored on the servers  but can't confirm that as there were conflicting post. 

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation