Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Sheppeyboy
Luminary
Luminary

I have a ULTRA 2 VMC5040-200 which has started to drain the XL battery to 1% within 24 hours, normally lasts several weeks with 20-30 videos recorded per day, I changed the battery to another fully charged XL battery which is fully drained again within 24 hours.

Nothing has changed in the camera settings, just that the camera drains the battery. 

Moved to another location with no videos recorded yet the battery is again fully discharged within 24 hours or less.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

DAINS XL BATTERY IN 24 HOURS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sheppeyboy
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks, will give it a try

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

You could try a reset.  The process is to

1. charge the camera
  2. remove the camera from the account
  3. remove the camera from the housing and hold down the sync button inside until it flashes amber (about 15 seconds)
  4. add the camera back to the account.
Sheppeyboy
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks, will give it a try

Y2K
Aspirant
Aspirant

How did you solve your battery problem?

Sheppeyboy
Luminary
Luminary

It was the camera that was causing the battery drain, reset the Ultra 2 camera to factory settings a couple of times and then reduced the sensitivity to movement to 70%.  The process to reset the camera is to

1. charge the battery
  2. remove the camera from the account
  3. remove the camera from the housing and hold down the sync button inside until it flashes amber (about 15 seconds)
  4. add the camera back to the account
VCohaagen
Tutor
Tutor

Chiming in just to say that my Arlo Ultra 2 Wireless Security Camera suddenly began doing the same thing within the past few weeks. I first switched out the battery,  cleaned the solar panel, and checked all the connections and settings.

After that, it held the charge for a few sunny weeks, but now again after a couple of cloudy days it drained to 1% and has been slow to recharge after becoming sunny again.

Obviously, draining the battery completely in just 1-2 days is unusual. Typically the solar panel keeps it at 100% constantly, even on cloudy days, and even if not it wouldn't normally drain more than 10% in a single day.

I'll try this suggested fix to see if it works for mine. Because I'm now using a 2nd battery, it's definitely possible the issue is with the camera.

Sheppeyboy
Luminary
Luminary

I found the issue is with the Ultra 2 camera, the reset fixed it for a a few days but the fault returned, even though it didn't record many views/movement etc it still flattened the XL battery within a few days, tried with other XL batteries I have and each time the fault followed the camera, normally my XL battery lasts a few weeks on my other cameras

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Sheppeyboy If you bring the camera in closer to your base station or router, does the same battery drain occur? 

Sheppeyboy
Luminary
Luminary

I have already tried the camera inside the home next to the Smart Hub with no difference, thanks

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you PM me with the serial number of the affected device?

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation