Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
RHG1911
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been trying to add a second VMB5000 to my home system to extend it's wireless range for a few cameras that have limited connectivity.  My current system is 5 Ultra cameras and 2 doorbells connected to my original VMB5000.  I am trying to add the second VMB5000 by ethernet connection to an eero Pro 6e mesh (remote) unit.  

I have tried adding "base station / hub", but the request appears to time out.  When I plug in the power to the new VMB5000, the light flashes amber, and turns solid blue after some time (a minute-ish??).  The result is always the same: Base station could not be discovered.

I do use a VPN, but it is turned off.  (I have tried with VPN on for giggles also - but that also fails).  I can see the new VMB5000 on my network, but the Arlo app can not connect to it.

I also tried moving the new unit to the same switch the original VMB5000 is connected to... without success.  

I feel I am doing something wrong, or missing an important step, but can not figure out what.  I'm frustrated...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RHG1911
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK - final update... and I hope this helps someone in the future who is trying to add more smart hubs to their existing network in the same location.  (Basically extending the range of the system.)

The one thing I had to do is press and hold the reset button for about a minute.  Wait for a flashing amber light... (The led started alternating amber / blue after about 10 seconds.  Keep holding.  The led went solid blue.  Keep holding.  The led finally started to flash the amber light.  The base unit was discoverable at that point.)  

StephenB... thank you so much for all of your help and suggestions!  I greatly appreciate the help!

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Try using a PC (my.arlo.com) as that sometimes will work when the app fails.

RHG1911
Aspirant
Aspirant

I should have mentioned I was using an Apple laptop.  (I did try my phone app as well, but that failed.)

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RHG1911 wrote:

I should have mentioned I was using an Apple laptop.  (I did try my phone app as well, but that failed.)

Ok.  I don't have an Eero - some folks found they needed to allow their base to reach the internet in their router settings (even though the base was getting an IP address).  But I don't know what settings they changed.  

If you can take the base over to a friend with a different router, you could try installing the base at their home. Then just turn it off and reconnect it to the eero when you get home.

RHG1911
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok - brought the new base unit to my business to see if my laptop would see it there.  The experiment failed.  The new base unit acts the same here as it did at home.  

I'll have to look into permissions on the router at home - I can't play with things at work.  At this point, this is about the only thing that *might* work.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The work network may not allow access to the Arlo servers - this has been an issue over the years. You could check with IT to see whether that's true and whether they would allow access.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

The work network may not allow access to the Arlo servers - this has been an issue over the years. You could check with IT 

There are other possibilities:

• an http proxy could interfere with the base's ability to communicate with Arlo servers (even if they are not blocked).
  • port 123 (NTP) might be blocked
  • the network might not be forwarding broadcast packets (particularly if the laptop was connected using wifi)

IT might not be very motivated to help you figure this out.

RHG1911
Aspirant
Aspirant

Back on my home network.  Couldn't I achieve the same result by un-plugging the existing VMB5000 and trying to connect the new one?  I have been trying to connect wirelessly - but that is also how I connected everything initially.  I'm still sitting on 2 new VMB hubs and 4 new cameras... but I only opened one of the 2 kit boxes (1 VMB5000, and 2 Ultra 2 cameras) in case I need to return them.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RHG1911 wrote:

Couldn't I achieve the same result by un-plugging the existing VMB5000 and trying to connect the new one? 

I don't think unplugging the existing smarthub will matter, but it is safe to try.

RHG1911
Aspirant
Aspirant

LOL - you were absolutely correct.  Unplugging the main VMB5000 while trying to connect to the new one did nothing. I also tried an ethernet connection to the network vs. wireless.  Neither approach worked.  I'm still stuck in the mud with new equipment and not being able to connect it.

RHG1911
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been assuming that others HAVE been able to connect multiple VMB5000 base units to the same camera network... is this correct?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RHG1911 wrote:

I have been assuming that others HAVE been able to connect multiple VMB5000 base units to the same camera network... is this correct?

Not sure what you mean by "same camera network".

I have two VMB5000s connected to my home network, each paired with some of my cameras.  Both are in the same account.

Have you tried resetting the problem one with a paper clip?  

Also, when you connect it to your ethernet, have you checked your router's device list to see if the smarthub is getting an IP address?

RHG1911
Aspirant
Aspirant

I thought I already responded, but I must have done something to lose it.

The "same camera network" was just a poor choice of words on my part.  I was asking for confirmation of a setup much like yours. with more than one VMB5000 on one Arlo account in the same location.

The new VMB5000 is indeed getting an IP address, but because I'm connecting through a mesh device, it is slightly different.  Problem unit is 192.168.7.245 and the original operating unit is 192.168.4.37.  I don't know if the "7" and "4" are the issue, but I do believe that is generated by the mesh (Eero) device.  (The main VMB5000 is on the same switch as the base mesh (Eero) unit.)  I'm probably missing some small detail... but with a brand new Ultra2 kit, I have to believe the smart hub is fine and just needs the right 'kick' in the right place.

I have tried the paper clip reset, but not while my computer was hard wired.  This will be the next attempt.  If I move everything back to the base unit, the "7" might change - if my theory is correct.  (Probably wont change anything... but I guess you never know.)

I appreciate your assistance!!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RHG1911 wrote:

The new VMB5000 is indeed getting an IP address, but because I'm connecting through a mesh device, it is slightly different. 

FWIW, I use an Orbi mesh.  One of the VMB5000s is connected to the router, the other is connected through a mesh satellite.

@RHG1911 wrote:

Problem unit is 192.168.7.245 and the original operating unit is 192.168.4.37.  I don't know if the "7" and "4" are the issue, but I do believe that is generated by the mesh (Eero) device. 

That could well be the problem.  Try opening CMD on the PC and then run ipconfig. If the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 then it likely is the 7.

Either way, try connecting the new VMB5000 to the router, and see if you can install it there.  After the install is sucessful you should be able to move it back to the mesh element.

RHG1911
Aspirant
Aspirant

Subnet is 255.255.252.0  Someone with far more knowledge told me the subnet is large enough that .4 and .7 are actually part of the same network and broadcast group.  So, changing the .7 to .4 won't help.

I tried the paper clip reset while VPN was off, and hard wired to the same switch.  Still the same results.  I guess I will try calling the Arlo support line to see if they have any ideas.

I'm on a MacBook Pro, and I'm pretty sure the ipconfig is different on a mac.  (Don't think it would matter anyway.)

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RHG1911 wrote:

Subnet is 255.255.252.0  Someone with far more knowledge told me the subnet is large enough that .4 and .7 are actually part of the same network and broadcast group. 

That is correct. So it is not the IP address of the base.

RHG1911
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK - final update... and I hope this helps someone in the future who is trying to add more smart hubs to their existing network in the same location.  (Basically extending the range of the system.)

The one thing I had to do is press and hold the reset button for about a minute.  Wait for a flashing amber light... (The led started alternating amber / blue after about 10 seconds.  Keep holding.  The led went solid blue.  Keep holding.  The led finally started to flash the amber light.  The base unit was discoverable at that point.)  

StephenB... thank you so much for all of your help and suggestions!  I greatly appreciate the help!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RHG1911 wrote:

The led started alternating amber / blue after about 10 seconds. 

FYI, the reset normally only takes about 10 seconds.   I think the delay (and the amber/blue flashing) meant that the base was updating its firmware. 

It is a bit odd, as it should have updated the firmware when you connected it (not requiring the reset).

But the good news is that you were able to resolve the issue.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation